Monday, February 21, 2022

The professionals

It was a beautiful day. I had to work but the workload was lighter than usual. I took Maya and Della out for a hike. These two girls are professionals out on the trails. Maya particularly, because she knows the difference between "left" and "right" so I can direct her at intersections. The two girls walk well together and they both enjoy their daddy time.

The trails are like the roadsides around here, littered with fallen trees. And like the roadsides, efforts have been made but there's a lot left to do. We encountered many obstacles. A tree trunk across the trail is the simplest. We either go over or under it, depending on the height. The tough ones were thick branches that completely blocked the path. There it was a matter of making your way to either end of the downed tree and finding a way around. It made the hike more challenging, and we went over 3.5 miles so I was pretty much done when we got back to the van. 

The new boy, Axel, spent the day in Daneland with Zippy and River. I had hoped that would make him ready for bed when he came inside this evening, but he's carrying on from his crate in the kitchen. I gave him some meds and I hope he will quiet down soon. He's a bit of a screamer. Tomorrow I'll try to get him out to the pasture for a run. 





Maya and Della at Sparky's watering hole.

Sparky loved this spot and would always wade in to the deepest spot.



Maya going up and over a log.

Della can just step over many of them.

This is the kind of stuff that was problematic. The trail went right through the center of that.

A somewhat trickier jump.




The dogs could have gotten through this but I couldn't without getting really scratched up.
We went the long way around it.








Those ears leave no doubt that she's part German Shepherd Dog.

I love these three pics of Maya.



3.66 miles




No comments: