Sunday, February 6, 2022

The Sunday Great Dane road trip

I headed waaay down I-81 today to meet and bring home a new Great Dane. She's a chocolate merle, two years old, named Callie but she's officially Allie because there's currently another Callie in the rescue (Green Dogs Unleashed). The former owner was a nice young man, recently divorced, working 60 hours a week and no time for the dog. Re-homing her was the best thing for the dog, and luckily there was a connection to my long-time doggie dealer from that part of the state.

I hadn't seen or heard from Linda in a long time but when she called and told me about that dog I said yes. She's sent me many dogs over the years, and has never steered me wrong, of course I was going to say yes. It was nice to see her again and renew that connection and the dog is very nice.

She's a bit scared right now. Her world has just turned upside down after all and she spent much of the day on the road. I had just pulled into the driveway at home and shut the gate behind me when I got a message from Erika saying that she could have a vet over there in 20 minutes. I headed over there and we got the rabies, parvo/distemper, heartworm test, wormer, and microchip all done. 

Then we came home, she met Maya, went out briefly and ate a little bit. Now we are all up in my office. She's in one of the big Dane crates. She needs to settle in and actually the other girls are giving her some distance right now to give her a chance to do so. 

Allie brings us to a total of four fosters, the same number as our own dogs. Three of them are pretty new so I have some work to do.








No comments: