Thursday, October 6, 2022

Bonding hike with Kenley


Kinley is fine with all the other dogs, but I also need to get her bonded to me and the best way I know to do that is by hiking. It's time spent together, both of us attached by leash, and it's doing something fun. If there's a better way to bond I don't know it. 

I took her by herself because I wasn't sure how she would be on a leash and if she wanted to be difficult she would be more than enough dog to deal with on her own. I had heard stories of her dragging her former owner down the driveway at Green Dogs. Erika had trained her to use a Gentle Leader, but I like to live dangerously. I used a rope harness on her like I use with Della. She wasn't bad, but it was clear that if she wanted to make life difficult for me, she could have done so. She is big but she's a bit fluffy. She got no exercise to speak of in her former home. If she's here long enough, she will replace some of that fluff with muscle and become a very solid young Saint Bernard. 

We walked a good three miles, one mile on the road from one end of the park to the other, but we took the trails on the way back and had two miles of more interesting and more challenging walking. She alerted on squirrels and we spotted a couple deer. She liked to sniff of course, but she wasn't stopping so much that I had to be constantly dragging her off a scent spot so we could move on. She gave my arms and back a pretty good workout but didn't hurt me. I appreciate that.

She's not eating much yet, but that's all right and that may change tomorrow morning after today's hike. It took some effort to get her into a crate last night, but once she was in, she was fine and settled down without any problem. She is spending the days out in Daneland with Olivia. She's a nice girl.


















No comments: