Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Studying the spots and stripes

 I went out this evening to get individual pics of all the pups. They had a big day, which included digging through the chain link divider over to the other half of Daneland with Olivia and Kenley. They were fine and I may soon just open the divider, but it facilitates feeding if they are kept separate for now so I fixed the hole and got everyone back where they belong. I don't know what all they did out there but they are dirty. 

These pups did not come from a land of plenty and it shows. They have competed for everything, including food. I had to separate the father, Twix, in the first couple of feedings because he wouldn't let the others eat. I moved to three daily feedings and I hope everyone will realize that food will be readily available around here. There is competition even among the pups. They are not a puppy pile forming litter like those that have been here since birth. But again, I hope that they will soon realize that there is plenty of food, toys, and affection to go around.

Here's my attempt at identification photos.

GOOBER

This is Goober, round white spot on the top of his head and a wide stripe between his eyes.
He wears a green collar and has a long tail.

Another view of Goober


TWIX


Twix is the father and he's a bit taller and longer than the pups, but he's long and thin like the candy he's named after. He's readily identified by the long thin stripe that runs down his snout from the top of his head. He has a long tail. 


TURTLE



Turtle's collar is decorated with a candy corn print. He has a short tail, a medium wide stripe down his nose that begins as a white spot on top of his head. But the easiest way to recognize Turtle is the fact that he's the most in-your-face of all the pups. He will come right up to see you and often rolls over on his back for a belly rub. I only got one picture of him tonight but he will probably appear in more pictures than any other pup just because he's always present.


REESE


Reese is the mom. She's different color than all the others. She's very sweet and seems to have been a very good mother in what must have been extremely difficult circumstances. She's going to be beautiful when she's well-fed, cleaned up, and relieved of the burden of motherhood. 



PIXIE

These are not very good pictures of Pixie, but she had already put herself to bed in the dog house in the shed and didn't want to come out. She's the only female pup and she has a short tail. She wears a floral patterned collar that was quite dirty this evening, presumably from adventuring over to the other side of Daneland.



KITKAT


Kitkat has a long tail and a teal colored collar. He has a wide stripe on this nose that is slightly off center. I think he's the biggest of the pups, which may mean he's been the most competitive eater, but he's quite shy around people. He came into the shed when I was out there, but took refuge in the crate in the corner.





TWIZZLER


Twizzler has a short tail and Y-shaped white spot on the top of his head. But Twizzler is most identifiable by his behavior. He's painfully shy at this point and you often have to go looking for him. When I went out this evening all the others came into the shed where I was, except Twizzler. I had to go outside to get his picture and I'll have to chase him into the shed tonight when I put them all to bed. He seems sweet, but he's scared.


Monday evening I went up to Lowe's and got a solar light and a 10' piece of gutter to use as a feeding trough as I've done in the past. I set it up and used it Tuesday morning and the pups took to it well. Twix was a bit possessive of it all at first, but I hope that will change. If not he may move over with Olivia and Kenley.










No comments: