Saturday, October 1, 2022

Soggy Saturday

I was watching the radar as the remnants of the hurricane approached us yesterday. It seemed to split into two halves, with us in the center missing out on the heaviest wind and rains. We had enough to suit me, and it still drizzled for much of the day on Saturday, but we lucked out. All my preparations were for naught, but it was all stuff that needed to be done anyway. 

Saturday morning a woman drove down from northern Virginia for a meet and greet with Rita Rottweiler. Rita was as sweet as she could be and the woman really loved her but ultimately left without her. She was scheduled to meet another dog this afternoon, and had adopted another dog just a week ago, so I think it was good that she waited to at least give it further consideration. Rita is an absolute love. I kept her in the house the morning to keep her dry and she sat with me in the kitchen with her head on my leg while I watched television. She deserves a really good home.

The Golden boy, Henry, spent a quiet first night in his crate in the office although it took some time and medication to get him to settle down. He's a sweet boy and very playful. I'd really like to put him with Olivia and Rita in Daneland during the day, but he just got neutered on Thursday so I guess I should wait another day or two. I learned that as long as he's indoors, he needs to be crated if not being watched closely. He's not house trained and he's a marker, and he chewed up a television remote control, which he got off the kitchen counter. 

It was drizzling pretty steadily when I wanted to get out for a walk this afternoon. That gave me the opportunity to not take Della because Della is really not fond of getting rained on. I don't think she was the least bit upset when I took Elvis and Paisley instead. It wasn't a heavy drizzle, but we walked two miles so we all got fairly wet by the time it was over. None of us is so sweet that we were in danger of dissolving in the rain. Well, maybe Elvis, but he survived it intact and they both enjoyed it. 

We've got nine dogs here now, so my strategy is to divide and conquer. Clay has been quarantined in the bedroom this week with a relapse of Covid. Max is happy to stay in there with him and Elvis comes and goes as it suits him. Rita and Olivia are in Daneland during the days, but they have several choices of shelters from the weather. I crated Henry downstairs in the kitchen during the day. Paisley stays in the kitchen also. That leaves Della, Maya, and Cosmo with me in the office for the most part. At night Olivia and Rita take the crates in the kitchen. Paisley is loose in the kitchen. Henry moves up to the office crate at night along with Cosmo. Max, Della, and Elvis sleep in the main bedroom with Clay, and Maya and I have been in the guest room. Clay feels fine again but he still tested positive this morning; I was still negative. I hope we will both get negative results tomorrow morning. 

That's been our soggy Saturday. I got some work done, some cooking, and a lot of laundry. And I got a walk in, which I needed. Two miles is better than none. It was a productive day if nothing else.

Rita Rottweiler with me in the kitchen this morning.
She is very sweet.










Paisley and Elvis walk well together.

 I took everyone outside a couple times during the day when it wasn't raining much.

Henry ran around, a lot.




Henry is running in all my pictures of him.




Della supervised and watched for important things, like people using our road.

Maya may disappear for a bit, but she always comes right back when I call her.
That's a sea change in her behavior compared to when she was young.

Cosmo, a/k/a the Big Hairy Beast, enjoys some outdoor time now that it's cool,
but he's very good about coming back in when I call him too.

Front to back along the boardwalk: Henry, Cosmo, Paisley, and Max.


No comments: