Wednesday, February 15, 2023

A better walk with Chico

I knew I needed to take Chico out to walk again. I also knew that I needed better control and that I still wanted to walk him alone. 

I used a Gentle Leader on him this time and it worked like a charm. He didn't exactly cooperate with getting it on and adjusted, but I did that in the back of the van in the driveway before we left home. I still don't trust those things entirely, or my ability to fit them securely, so I also put a harness on him and used two short leashes. He didn't really fight the Gentle Leader the way some dogs do and I used it exclusively on the walk while still holding the second leash attached to the harness, just in case. He may not have enjoyed the walk as much as he did when he was dragging me around, but I enjoyed it much more and he'll get to go a lot more often when he's walking on my terms. 

We had a nice two mile walk and I got some pretty pictures of the boy. We're bonding nicely and I don't worry about letting him loose in the fenced yard or the pasture because he sticks around really well. I worked on his house manners a bit today too, letting him come upstairs to the office while I was working, but I still ended up closing him in a crate so I could actually get some work done. He's a work in progress but progress is being made. 

The post-op pups are doing fine. Peggy wasn't at all happy about being by herself in the guest room last night so I took her back outside with the rest of the litter so we could get some sleep. Everyone was outside most of the day today, but they are doing fine. Early spay/neuter is so much easier on everyone.












No comments: