Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sunny Sunday

Dog things come first. A former Dane adopter came to meet Paige today and wants to adopt her. I'm going to give her a crate on a long term loan because I think it will make the transition easier, and will deliver crate and Dane next weekend. I'm very happy for Paige. She's a sweet girl. 





Day two of the cold frame project got off to a slow start. The plan was to at least get the hole dug today, but where to locate the cold frame became an issue. I thought I had settled on a spot only to discover that the ground in that area was full of roots from nearby sycamore and birch trees. I did not want to dig with an axe or chainsaw so I found a new spot, with plenty of sun and no roots. The ground was wet and heavy, but easy to dig. 

The cold frame project was related to another pre-spring garden project, filling a new, round, raised bed. The first cart load that I dug was surface turf, full of grass, which I didn't want in the flower bed so I spread it in some tractor ruts in the pasture. The next two loads of dirt went into the round bed and that's as much native clay soil as I want to use. We went to Lowe's and I bought four bags of various soil amendments to mix into the heavy clay and finish filling the round bed. I've still got more soil to remove from the hole, but I'll save that for the next raised bed.

The hole, in process.

The new raised bed being filled.

Hole inspectors

They were not impressed, but I told them it wasn't done yet.

Everyone got plenty of outdoor time again today, but I didn't get as many pictures. I also didn't get Norman out for a run but this morning I took Bailey to the park for our regular two mile walk. 

Cosmo

Della

Maya

Paisley and a little bit of Maya

Bailey on our morning walk.




No comments: