Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Expansion

I mentioned previously that when I took in the two black labs I got a 10x10 kennel, canopy, doghouse, and platform along with them.  I had been contemplating how to use the materials and finally did so today.  One of the 10x20 kennels became an L-shaped kennel, 10x20 in both directions.  I also incorporated the doghouse, which sits outside the kennel (accessed through  holes in one of panels), and one half section of the platform.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  Today was the perfect day to do it--the weather was a little cooler and definitely less humid, and Clay was working from home today so I had some help.  I still have somethings to secure, but it's pretty much done and all the heavy lifting part is done.  I've hung fans in the kennels except for the big one.  I need another fan or two, some bungie cords, and probably some more rope light now too. 

The plan is NOT to take in more dogs, but just to provide more space and better accomodations for the number of fosters I have.  I've got too many fosters in the dog yard at the moment.  There's plenty of space for them, but our own dogs, Molly especially, aren't so crazy about associating with some of the fosters (Schatze).  Teddy is due to move this weekend, and that will leave only Gypsy Jr., Odie, and little Tessa in the big, and newly expanded, triple kennel complex.  I want to move the black labs in there at least. 

The labs, Luke, and to a lesser extent Schatze and Ryland, have all picked up the kennel cough or whatever it was that Romeo had.  Poor Maddie, the female lab, seems to have it the worst.  I haven't mixed any of them with the dogs in the other kennels, and although Romeo comes into the house at night, none of the household dogs have picked it up, at least not yet.  Romeo seems to be over it and I could move him to another foster home if I can get him in for a cat test.  There's someone in Charlottesville that might be good for him but we haven't met yet.  I also still need to do a home visit down in Buckingham.  I'm off on Friday as well as Monday so I have a 4 day weekend for my birthday, but the things to do are piling up. 

No comments: