Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Movement, mostly in the right direction

Today I drove down to my regular meeting point at Natural Bridge.  But instead of meeting my regular contact who brings me dogs from southwest Virginia, I was meeting Koa's adopters.  Koa is the drop-dead gorgeous sable boy from Orange County who came along with Ranger.  I had a lot of inquiries about him a few weeks ago but selected a couple who live in Roanoke.  They were going on vacation and I needed to move this dog, any dog, but I did think they were the best home for Koa.  So I've been warehousing him here for the last couple weeks or so.  He's easy enough to keep and the delay will be a mere blip in the timeline of his life, so he just hung out here in the rowdy kennel for the past few weeks. 
I met the folks today and I'm convinced it was the right thing to do.  They seem to be serious dog people and they had said all the right things and asked good questions.  Still, until you meet face to face it's always hard to say.  They took to Koa immediately and he responded to them as well.  It was raining when we arrived, but he was excited to be out, meeting people, and doing something new.  He's had playmates here but he hasn't had a lot of new things to see, learn, and do.  He's young and he needs that.  They are young, active people, and I think it will be a good match. 




Tenley went home with another foster last Sunday but she didn't stay there for long. She moved into a prospective adopter's home already and so far, so good. Keeping paws crossed for this one. It is a definite lifestyle improvement for the dog.

I'm planning to meet Teddy's prospective adopters on Saturday at some location yet to be determined off of I-95. I can't imagine that they won't love him.

Rescue is never entirely forward progress it seems, and I did have one dog returned this week--a small female shepherd named Tessa.  I hadn't had her very long when she was adopted and I can't even remember her back story right now.  It appears that she's insecure, fear-aggressive, overly protective, and a bit of a bitch.  Sounds like a pretty typical female shepherd problem.  She was a bit wary of me when she came back, but we haven't had any problems and she will come up to me and let me handle her without problems.  I'll watch her, integrate her with the other fosters, and see what she's like.  She's small and cute, which will help, but we will see.  Tessa's relapse was unfortunate because I have too many dogs right now and still have a few on a waiting list, but I'm going to expand my kennels this weekend with a kennel and dog house that came along with the labs, so that should ease the crunch a bit.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

A 3:1 ratio is about the best you can hope for in dog rescue. It seems you once again have a shitload of shepherds. Has Bo started his HW treatment? It's looking like our rottie may need ACL surgery :( Been there, done that ...