Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two shepherds, same story

On the left is a male shepherd named Coco.  He lived in New Haven, Connecticut until his owner died.  Before that he had been the man's companion and I'm sure he provided a lot of comfort, love, and a sense of purpose and security for the ailing man. 

The man died.  His relatives just left the dog there.  They finally called his ex-wife, although they had been divorced since 1989.  She got someone to drive to Connecticut and bring the dog to Virginia.  He was said to be five years old, but I think he's a bit older than that.  Coco is great in most respects but isn't too keen on cats and she has several.  One of them seems to be making an effort to get acquainted with Coco, however, and I saw them together today.  I'm sure he would give chase if the cat ran and that seems to be the issue with the others. 

Anyway, she contacted the organization about re-homing him and I finally went over today to meet the dog after putting it off for several weeks.  Nice dog, settled in comfortably where he is, but he's isolated from the cat-friendly portion of the household and she would like to find him a home.  He's going to stay where he is for now because he's got better accomodations than I can offer and I really can't take another one right now.  I sent out a plea for a foster home.  We will see. 

The shepherd in the pics on the right is being called Tie Rod.  She is living in an auto repair shop in Charlottesville.  Her owner had cancer, lost his home to foreclosure, and the dog was abandoned.  The owner of this shop took her in, but doesn't want to crate her, doesn't want her following him around all the time, doesn't want to leave her on a tie out, etc.  I think the dog could probably settle into life as a shop dog and it wouldn't be all bad--people around all day, a safe and secure place to be at night. 

This dog's biggest obstacle to adoption is her age, probably 9 years or so.  And again, I can not take her in right now and she's not bad off where she is.  In fact, it's probably a better life than she has had for many years. 

(Is it just me or is "Coco" a bad name for a male dog and "Tie Rod" an equally bad name for a female dog?  If the dogs had homes it wouldn't matter what their names are, but if they come into the rescue they are going to come in as nameless dogs.)

Name issues aside, these two similar stories point out the need for all of us to consider our dogs and our own mortality.  I have too many dogs for Clay to be responsible for if something were to happen to me.  It's something that all responsible pet owners need to think about, and plan for.  Some people have stronger support networks among family and friends than others.  There are certain people out there for whom I will always be their doggie backup and they know it, and I will always take back my fosters, of course, but I can't be a retirement home for all of them or the rescue operation would come to an end.  At some point, operating a canine retirement home might be an option, and a way to get out of the more intensive and higher volume rescue work. It's definitely a void that needs to be filled in the world of rescue.

No comments: