Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day


Gypsy Jr.

Teddy and Odie

Something strange has happened and I'm not sure what to make of it.  I've been getting Father's Day wishes, from strangers.  I have received happy Father's Day wishes from dog people on behalf of my foster dogs and that's great.  I can totally self-identify as a doggie daddy, no problem.  What has me concerned are casual Father's Day wishes from people who don't know me but just assume that I must be someone's father.  It happened twice yesterday.  One from from the clerk at a Tractor Supply store who wished me a happy Father's Day as if she was wishing someone a merry christmas.  I thought she must have seen me drive up in the minivan and made the logical leap.  I couldn't fault her for that, it's not even much of a leap really from "minivan driver" to "dad."  I forget now who the second one was, but I don't think the van was part of that equation.  It was more of an assumption based common characteristics of "men of a certain age."  I don't recall this happening before this year.  Obviously I've crossed over some line.  Clearly, I need a jeep, and an exercise program.  I have a birthday coming up and remaking my soon-to-be 53 year old body to sync up with my delusional 33 year old self image isn't going to be easy. 


Romeo

Romeo

Anyway, happy Father's Day to you human dads and doggie dads out there.  I drove 5 dogs to an adoption event in Front Royal today.  It was Romeo's first public event and he absolutely lived up to his name.  They were all good and enjoyed it, although I don't know that we developed any real adoption prospects today. 

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

I don't remember ever receiving random Happy Mother's Day wishes, but I distinctly remember a certain point in life when people started calling me ma'm instead of miss!! As one of my good friends says, "You can't argue with reality!"

Anonymous said...

Doggie Daddy!!!

Remember these??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxX5-obCxHM

Ann