Friday, June 24, 2011

I caved

I got through the bulk of my work by early afternoon and headed into town.  I dropped off Romeo's prescription at the Walmart pharmacy on the way into town and dropped off the recycling stuff at the McIntire Road recycling center, which is just up the street from where I needed to pick up Zachary's raw food and place an order for more.  I was also in the neighborhood where the auto repair shop with the dog is located, and that's just a block away from the vet's office. 

I stopped at the vet's office and asked if they could work in a new dog for vaccines and heartworm test.  They said "sure" so I went to pick up the dog. 

I guess I should back up and say that I had sent out an email to the shepherd group and someone had offered to take her in.  That "someone" is probably the one person in VGSR who is as big a sucker as I am. 


Anyway, I took the new girl to the vet and gave her at least a temporary name instead of "Tie Rod".  I called her Tinley, in honor of the new baby girl just born to my vet this week.  Apparently it's an Irish name meaning something, I don't know what.  Tinley was great at the vet.  She hopped right into my car, rode nicely, walked nicely, was good for the vaccines, exam, and blood draw.  She tested negative for everything, which is nothing short of miraculous.
 



My plan had been to get the dog vetted and take her back to the shop and then pick her up on way up to Gainesville on Sunday.  But I caved.  I couldn't take her back there. This is why I don't like to even meet dogs when I'm not in a position to take them.  I'll end up taking them anyway, and sure enough, I brought her home with me.  It's just until Sunday.  I'll take her to Gainesville and she will go home with another foster home.  She's such a nice dog, but then they all are, that's what makes this so difficult. 

7 comments:

MJ said...

She is so dear. I am such a sucker for the older gals. Meg

Carolyn said...

Good for you for taking her.

Do you know anything about VGSR picking up a neutered male shepherd from Caroline AC today? Someone has told them that the group will pick up the dog. NICE, nice dog. I was there with Richmond Animal League this week, and this is a nice (although too fat) dog.

Anonymous said...

Old doggies are good doggies.
I am running my own retirement home for senior shepherds, so kudos to you and the foster home for taking in this sweet girl.

BudsBuddy said...

You aren't a sucker or a caver. You are just a person with a big heart, unlike the heartless slimeballs who abandoned these dogs. Did I read your previous blog right, that the ex-wife of Coco's owner -- who had divorced him 20+ years ago and never even met the dog -- rescued the dog from out of state, after the guy's own family had abandoned it? Yeeesh.

Brent said...

@ Bud'sBuddy: That's Coco's story all right. She's a person I'm glad to have met.

@ Carolyn: I don't know about a dog in Caroline County. It's quite possible, but I don't pay much attention to the comings and goings of other dogs in VGSR; my own keep me more than occupied.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
If you are talking about the HUGE GSD at Caroline, yes we are taking him (actually should be with the foster by now.
Barb with VGSR

Carolyn said...

Great, Barb!! We really liked him, but since you all were taking him, we took one of the mixed shepherds, instead--one of the blond ones, with the black faces.