Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Romeo's second vet visit

Romeo was neutered and vaccinated at the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA on Monday.  He's doing fine, but he has some patches of missing hair so I knew he would need to see our regular vet as well.  Furthermore, although CASPCA did perform a heartworm test on him, they don't do the three way combination test that screens for Lyme and Erlichia in addition to heartworms.

I had a follow up appointment with our Zachary today for his second Lyme vaccine so I made an appointment for Romeo at about the same time.  Although the news wasn't great (positive for Lyme), I'm glad I took him in because it's better to know about it so I could get him started on the four week course of doxycycline.
 
His skin shows what has probably been a chronic yeast infection, which was also affecting his ears.  I can't bathe him for 10 days because his neuter incision is held together with a water soluble glue, so I got a prescription for an anti-fungal oral medication that I'll need to get filled at a pharmacy.  Of course, that necessitated doing some basic blood work as well. 

It wasn't a fun day for either of us.  The dog I had who looked great and seemed readily adoptable now needs a month of medication and will need someone willing to manage a chronic yeast infection, which is probably due to a food allergy because he's a German Shepherd.  It does confirm my belief that I did the right thing by turning away a potential adopter for the dog last weekend.  The woman loved his personality, but she had neither the inclination nor the wherewithal to take on a dog who might need something more than cheap dog food and maybe an annual vaccination. 

With it being so hot outside, he's loving life up in my office.  Max, the male black lab, is up here too because he was neutered yesterday as well.  His sister, Maddie, isn't too happy about the separation from Max.  I'm going to try to adopt them together, although I do think they'd both be fine going their separate ways.  The word from the Animal Connections vet about Bo the rottie is that his xrays looked fine, but the EKG showed an unusual heart rhythm, so he is going to ask a veterinary cardiologist to take a look at the EKG. 

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Sorry that Romeo isn't "adoption ready," but sounds like his conditions are readily treatable and manageable. Hope the cardiologist gives Bo a thumbs-up for the HW treatment.