Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mini-Molly

I think I've told this story before.  We once took in two or three dogs from the same source, I think it was a person who died, went into a nursing home, or something.  Two were what I would judge to be pretty adoptable dogs, I think they were shepherds.  Then there was Pearl, an aging, mixed breed, non-descript pudgy mutt.  I wasn't going to take just the more adoptable dogs and leave the third behind, I think that stinks.  So I took Pearl, thinking that I might have her to the end of her days.  Pearl, however, was the first of the group to be adopted and she was adopted the first time I took her out.  What Pearl had going for her, in addition to being sweet, mellow, and housetrained, was the fact that she looked like a dog that everyone had at some point in their past.  She was EveryDog. 

At the one and only adoption event that Pearl attended, we heard again and again comments like "that looks just like a dog I had growing up." I took her to one of those people later that day and she got a great home because of it.

Zora meeting Molly.
This little girl owes more to Molly than she will ever know.

Zora came to me today.  She's only about 8 months old, not quite fully grown yet, and seems very sweet.  She isn't a shepherd or a rottie, she's pure mutt--part shepherd, part hound, part whatever.  I agreed to take her as soon as I saw her picture, however, because she looks like a pint-sized version of our Molly.  She's also sweet, housetrained, and maybe spayed already, but mostly I agreed to take her because of the look, as shallow as that sounds.  It wasn't a look I could turn away.  She's about the size of the boxer, Willy, who needs a companion who won't beat him up, so I'm pairing them up for the time being.

Zora meeting Willy
They have similar size, speed, and energy.
 

1 comment:

Budsbuddy said...

There is definitely something very endearing about Zora. Maybe it's the way her eyebrow patches arch over her eyes and give her a look of wonder. Of course she looks part rottie to me! Hope she finds a home as fast as Pearl did.