Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The edge of the woods

The black fluffy girl is giving me grief and causing a huge amount of stress for a little 6 pound puppy.  She still won't eat and she lays about like she's in decline rather than rallying.  I can feel her getting thinner and more frail.  This is my first experience with parvo pups so I'm operating in the dark.  After another bout of what appeared to be dark liquid in lieu of fecal matter, we went back to the vet today. 

Of course, after we got there she appeared more alert than she did at home.  Mostly the visit was about allaying my concerns and paranoia.  Her temperature was normal but she was getting dehydrated again so we are back to giving the sub-q fluids even though she is drinking some on her own.  I was given some more antibiotics and liquid famotidine, and mostly I was given the go ahead to force feed her.  I picked up 8 cans of A/D food and some Fortiflora, which makes a smelly, slimy mess with a little water added.  It sucks up into an oral syringe and I administered 30 cc of the stuff, minus the amount she spit back onto me.  It gave me a sense of what parents go through with babies.  You have to really love the little bugger to put up with that. 

We will have at least two more rounds of fluids and food before bedtime, whatever it takes to get a can of the stuff into her. 

But basically I was told that although she may not be out of the woods yet, she's at the edge of the woods and is about where she would be expected to be at this point. 

It's time to think about names.  Suggestions?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Luke and Leia? (Star Wars)

Britta said...

Woodsy for the black puppy and Birch for the beige one.

Anonymous said...

Hansel and Gretel?

Anonymous said...

How about Rally for male - since he rallied first and Echo for the female since we want her to follow his lead and get better.

Colleen said...

Apollo and Athena...children of Zeus.

Anu Shenoi said...

She must recover after all the love and care you are giving her Brent! She has to! Am praying for the little mite. How about Ebony and Ivory. Hansel and Gretel. Blanche and Sooty,
Jack and Jill :)

Jo Heil said...

How about Beauty and Spirit

BudsBuddy said...

You can't be too paranoid when it comes to parvo puppies! I used to foster sick kittens that needed to be force fed with a syringe. It was always a struggle to get any food down them for the first few days, but then they would start to take the food eagerly and claw my fingers for more. Then I knew they would soon begin eating on their own again. Hope you will get to that happy day very soon!