Thursday, December 15, 2011

Next up, Pongo

I had Thursday off from work, another vacation day, thank goodness.  I drove down to Natural Bridge to meet my doggie dealer again.  She had taken in 6 month old Pongo directly from the owner, not a shelter.  They had contacted their local humane society to give him up, ostensibly because their neighbors were afraid he'd hurt their cat.  That story doesn't add up because they were living in an apartment and the dog was not running at large, although they probably took him out without a leash.  Also, Pongo is good with cats.  He's shown here with three cats, and none of them seem the least bit concerned about him.  Owners frequently lie about the reason for giving up a dog ("allergies" is the all-time favorite guilt-free excuse), so it's hard to say what the truth is, but circumstances point to financial problems.  Whatever the reason, he's a lucky dog because he will end up in a much better home than he came from. 

We stopped at the vet on the way home and got him another parvo/distemper vaccine and a kennel cough vaccine.  He already had a rabies shot, thanks to Linda who got him vaccinated as soon as she got him from the owners.  They had paid good money for the dog from a breeder but never put a dime into his care.  I will never understand that. 

I also got an appointment to have him neutered Friday morning.  Then we stopped at Southern States for a bottle of panacure because he had worms.  I got him home, tagged and collared, and settled into a kennel just before dark.  All the fosters got wormed with panacure, it can't hurt. 

Pongo had been living indoors and Linda said he was fine being crated at her place, so I brought him inside for the night.  We will go to the vet Friday morning for the surgery and then this dog is good to go.  He brings my number of fosters back up to 10 (12 if you count the puppies), so I would really like to move him and/or some others this weekend. 

I should have spent today getting Christmas gifts wrapped, boxed, and shipped, and few more bought or ordered.  I think my family will need to consider Christmas to be a more generic December holiday rather than something that happens precisely on December 25th.  Gifts will be Christmas-ish this year, it's a matter of priorities.

No comments: