Sunday, December 4, 2011

Rock solid Robin

This was Buck the day I picked him up. 
He was dirty, matted coat, but still, you could see his beauty.
Robin was a dog that my doggie dealer pulled from her local shelter in southwest Virginia.  She saw him, recognized a good one, too good to go down when he went unclaimed at the end of his stray hold.  He was called Buck at the time and was renamed "Robin" by Service Dogs of Virginia (SDV).  I had Buck at the vet, I guess, and ran into Peggy from SDV, which has its office downstairs from my vet.  She was impressed by his temperament and asked me to bring him in one day for an evaluation.  They were impressed by the dog and kept him.  They kept him in training for some time, basically trying him in new situations to see what would ruffle his feathers.  Nothing did.  Robin is cool, calm, and collected, the most rock solid dog I've known.  That made him perfect for his eventual placement, in a home with an autistic child.
 
Robin, with his new mother,
a beautiful woman
That look
Everything about him invites touch.

Today was Robin's graduation ceremony, along with a number of other SDV dogs.  Peggy was kind enough to invite me and I wanted to go.  What I couldn't anticipate was the effect that it would have on me today. 

All the dogs were wonderful, several labs, a big Great Dane, and last but not least Robin--a Pyrenees mix most likely.  The child he was placed with was ill today and couldn't make it, but his mother was there and she spoke about Robin and the effect he had had on their lives.  It soon became apparent that Robin was a service dog for her as much as for the child. 
He is soft, silky

When they went to SDV to meet dogs initially, the child was scared of the labs and didn't want to touch them, but he laid down next to Robin and stroked his soft silky fur for about 20 minutes.  She said that when her child is in the yard playing, she would have to go out and carry him indoors because he didn't want to come.  Now, she just asks him to bring Robin inside and in they come.  Robin doesn't yet attend school with the child, but he goes to work with the woman, who works as a therapist.  She told the story of one patient who would only show up for short periods and often wouldn't talk.  With Robin there, the patient stayed for the entire time and talked nonstop, while petting the dog.  He has the ability to sense and seek out those who need him, and he gives them what they need.

If you don't touch Robin on your own
he soon encourages you to do so.
I was nearly in tears from listening to her.  It was obvious that she needed Robin and that he would do many wondrous things for their family.  I went up to meet her afterwards and she gave me a hug.  I was overcome with emotion and we had to leave before I had a chance to speak to anyone else there. 

What affected me so much was not just Robin, his new life, and the woman's stories.  I'm very happy for that and it was a wonderful event.  But that happy emotion was also an outlet of all the emotion from the last few days.  I didn't realize the toll it had taken on me.  Three dead puppies yesterday, burying them in our backyard, wondering if I would be digging more graves in the next few hours or days.  When it all was happening, I couldn't let it affect me, there was work to do and the survivors still needed me.  But today, away from home for a few hours at this event, the floodgates opened and it all hit me, hard. 

I came home and gave the black fluffer another 100cc of fluid under her skin.  She jumped off my lap to avoid the needle, showing more strength and energy than we've seen out of her.  I'm taking that as good sign because I need a good sign.  I don't want to bury any more puppies.

4 comments:

Kim Rothe Gibson said...

Awww...Brent, you are doing what I have wanted to do! I am in awe of you and your partner! What a wonderful thing, to rescue dogs!
We currently have two rescued dogs in our home, but would love to have acres of land to rescue so many more. We lost two of our dogs last year, one to cancer and one to old age!
Tasha died at age 14 (rescued from Omaha animal shelter). She was particularly amazing! She always knew when she was needed whether it was my dad before he died, my husband during cancer treatment or with the neighbor boy with autism. She just knew how to be with each of them!
I know that your mom and sisters are so proud of what you accomplish each day, as is Scott!
Keep doing what you do so well! You make an amazing difference in this world!
Kim Rothe Gibson, Oklahoma City (Salina KS formerly)

Anonymous said...

I have also had that experience, where emotions of one kind open the floodgate for other kinds. I once sobbed uncontrollably through an entire wedding ceremony, due to a completely unrelated personal loss. So glad to hear the 2 adorable pups are holding their own, thanks to all the TLC from you and Clay.

Anonymous said...

Crying again... I love happy endings.

Britta said...

Brent,
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon Swan