Sunday, December 4, 2011

The sweetest sound

 Even before opening the door to the puppy room this morning I heard the little guy barking.  It was the sweetest sound I'm apt to hear all day.  The little dude feels fine, he had devoured all the chicken and rice I had left in there and had left us two piles of soft but not bloody stool.  I've never been so happy to see poo in the house.  The newspapers covering the floor were dotted with so many wet piss spots, that I'm sure both pups were contributing their share. 

The black fluffy girl (I think it's time for names), isn't back to normal yet, but she's alive and holding her own, maybe acting a little better.  I don't know if she's eaten yet, I think not, but she's less dehydrated and isn't moaning like she was yesterday.  She's certainly no worse and I'm giving her more fluid and she will get it three times today.  After the way they were dropping like flies yesterday, I'm pretty happy with her condition today.

The little boy seems completely rehydrated, his skin is taut and elastic, he's curious and playful.  He's beginning to act like a normal puppy.  I don't think he needs the fluids any more, or the injections for vomiting, so he will just be getting the two injectible antibiotics.  The girl will still get all four shots for today at least.  Although she's not vomiting, I don't see that she's eating yet.

Yesterday I would have put the fluffy girl's chances at 50/50.  I'm a bit more optimistic today, but I don't think we are out of the woods yet. 

Blankets in the shower stall of the guest bathroom make a very cozy puppy nest. The nest isn't as full as it was yesterday, but I'm hopeful that these two will have each other to grow and learn together. 

 

3 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

They have such sweet faces. Fingers crossed for them.

Britta said...

Brent,

What a roller coaster. Thank you.

Sharon Swan

Anonymous said...

Awww....this post almost made me cry with happiness.