Thursday, December 29, 2011

Last Thursday of the year

I'm not sure if he was yawning or barking
Rufus is a handsome, if somewhat gangly, dog

Nothing much to report from today.  I went to the vet with my two latest additions, Rufus and Zora. 

Rufus is so tall, long, and lean, he looks like a gangly teenage boy whose legs have grown faster than the rest of his body.  He's a good looking dog and he seems to know some commands (sit, paw, down), but leash walking isn't among his skills.  He was friendly at the vet's office, but apparently it took 4 of them to hold him still for the blood draw.  He's a nice dog, already neutered, and I think he will get some interest quickly once I get him on the web.


Zora in the shed after our vet visit.
Yesterday I filled it with fresh straw.
Zora and Willy the boxer share a kennel during
the day and the shed at night.
Zora was as cute and sweet as I thought she would be.  We checked her teeth and determined that she's more likely 1-1.5 years old rather than the 8 months I was told.  No matter, she's still young and she was very good.  She weighed in at 42 pounds, which is a little more than I expected.  They were able to verify that she was in fact spayed; she had a tattoo at the incision site. 

Both dogs got vaccines because I had no records of them, and they both tested negative for heartworm, and had a clear fecal test.  Easy day at the vet's office and a good one. 

I also got to see Laila, and I dropped off the adoption paperwork to make it official.  She looked good, seemed happy to see me, and she's growing and gaining weight.  That little girl and I had a very intense week or so together.  I doubt that she will remember it, in fact I hope she doesn't, but I will certainly never be able to forget it. 

After the vet visit I sat in C-ville Coffee for a while and caught up on dog paperwork that needed to be sent in.  I still need to write a couple more thank you notes.

Thursday evening found me still working, and worrying a bit about Trooper who is hacking and spitting up.  He's quiet in a crate now, but if he's still doing that in the morning we will be making another trip to the vet.  Trooper isn't vet-friendly, of course, so that would be an adventure I would prefer not to have. 

I'm keeping little Woody with me in the office quite a bit.  He's dragging shoes around from all over upstairs.  He loves dead and dying stink bugs, and I've had to get all the computer wires and cables out of his reach. 

I am making a trip to northern Virginia on Sunday to meet potential adopters for Thora and Woody.  If I get Rufus posted I might drum up someone who is interested in him as well. 

No comments: