Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day marathon

Thora and Jake
There were no adoption events scheduled for this weekend, but I had 4 days off, too much free time without trying to move some dogs.

8:00 a.m., begin loading up Thora, Rufus, and Woody, and feed the fosters remaining at home. 

8:30 a.m., pull out of the driveway to head up to Woodbridge, leaving Clay to feed and medicate our 5 dogs.

11:00 a.m., arrive at destination in Woodbridge, to meet Jake and his adopter and introduce Thora.  Jake is one of my former fosters and this adopter had previously adopted BJ from me as well.  We arrived when they were starting out on their walk so we walked together and then spent some time in the backyard and finally in the house.  Jake is a bit of a grump, but he really did pretty well with Thora.  Still, he has a nice comfortable routine and it wasn't clear that he wanted or needed some pushy girl around to upset the boat.  I think it could work if she wants it to, but Thora came back with me after our visit. 


Rommel and Woody
1:15 p.m., arrive in Manassas to meet folks who are interested in Woody.  They are not at home.  I call and we have a tenuous cell phone connection but I learn that they were held up by something and are on their way.  I drive around the Manassas area and marvel at how much things have changed since I lived up there.  I do not miss it.  They called when they got home and I headed back to their house to introduce Woody to Rommel, a VGSR alum but not one of mine.  Woody loved them, their son, their dog, and a visiting dog.  Woody loves everyone.  By the end of the visit Rommel was beginning to chase Woody around, much to his delight.  They are going to think about and discuss it, but seemed inclined to adopt him, probably next weekend so they will have the weekend with him in the beginning and the week before to prepare for puppy.  But Woody came back home with me after our visit.
 
Woody finally got Rommel to chase him.
Great fun.
3:45 p.m., arrive in Gainesville at Debbie's house to meet a young man interested in Rufus.  Somewhere along in the afternoon it clouded up and it began to rain a bit while we were there.  Rufus pulls on a leash like he was pulling a plow, but otherwise he's rather well-mannered.  He's very friendly with everyone.  A prong collar sorted out his leash manners.  We spent quite a bit of time there because this guy is a first time dog owner, although he grew up with dogs.  Rufus spent the night in a crate in my office last night, but made an awkward descent down the stairs this morning.  By the time ee left Debbie's place he was going up and down her stairs with ease, which is good because his new adopter lives three flights up. 


Rufus, handsome dog
8:00 p.m., I arrive home with one less dog and over 200 more miles on my van.  But I did just receive an email confirming that they do want Woody.  I'll probably meet him up in Culpeper on Friday.  Thora had a bath last night in advance of this trip so she's staying in the office again tonight.  That bath was a bit of a struggle and it rained again today, I don't want her getting muddy again right away.  There were other folks interested in Thora if this placement doesn't happen for her, but they had either small dogs or cats, and I'm just not too certain about Thora with either. 

10:00 p.m., eat gumbo that Clay made today (delicious!), swallow pills to help with pain in my butt and legs, finish blog post, and go to bed.  Happy New Year. 


Rufus can see out any window or cruise the countertops without difficulty.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

It's wonderful to hear that Woody and Laila have found homes, after all they've been through. Wishing all of you a great 2012!