Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Of meth and madness

Buddy was the result of my afternoon meeting with my doggie dealer at Natural Bridge.  She got him back before christmas from a young woman.  The dog is about 3 years old, neutered, pure bred shepherd, housetrained (said to be a real snuggler in bed), good with kids and cats (the home had both).  The home also had a meth problem and what was probably an abusive boyfriend.  The latter two tend to walk hand in hand. 

Apparently the young woman already looks like an old woman who has had a hard life.  As Lois Griffin (Family Guy) said when she was at a loss to explain the appearance a new tattoo:  "Meth is a helluva drug."  Meth is the current drug of choice among rural white trash.  It can be made at home and apparently it packs a very strong punch. Needless to say, Buddy is the luckiest one from that household simply because he got out of it.



Buddy rode home silently in a crate in the van.  I put him in the kennel adjacent to the dog yard and he soon climbed over the 4' fence to join Zora and Willy in the dog yard.  They were fine together and Buddy and Zora really hit it off.  Buddy climbed out of the dog yard while I was on my walk with Nero.  Fortunately Clay was around and he got him back into the shed.  He will need to be inside or in a 6' fence.  I'm thinking that the folks who had been interested in Nero might like to meet him, particularly because he has a history of living with cats. 

He's a good looking dog, a bi-color, but he has very little of the tan leggings that are typical of bi-colors. Buddy is fairly small, I would guess 60-65 pounds, but he's a well put-together dog.  I think his profile is particularly nice, especially the alert and forward tilt to his ears.  We have a vet appointment tomorrow for vaccines, but like I said, he's already neutered, so he will be good to go tomorrow.

3 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

I'm happy for Buddy, but feel sad for the children in that home.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Buddy! I hope that somebody calls social services if there are children in that home.

Cathy L said...

Amen about Social Services. I've taken dogs out of situations where I felt awful leaving the kids behind and always called. I'm a social worker. Brent-I have to take exception with your comment about white trash and meth. Meth is a problem I see a lot of at work. It's destructive (what drug isn't?) and highly addictive. All sorts of people fall victim to meth addiction.