Monday, January 9, 2012

Sunday fun day

Sunday was a VGSR adoption event in Gainesville.  I took Zora, Willy, Thora, and Nero. I brought them all back home with me, but everyone had a good time and I now have a prospective home for Nero, more on that below.

Zora was cute and sweet as she just is. We got some good pics of her and I'll get her on the web. In spite of not being a shepherd, I think her size and demeanor will land her in a home fairly soon. Meanwhile she is paired up with Willy the boxer and they get along well. The two of them were crated in my office last night and she is very good with that.  She is hell on the toys left behind by the puppy, however.  She likes toys, but needs sturdy ones.

 





I was very happy and pleasantly surprised with Nero on Sunday.  It was his first outing and I wasn't sure what to expect given that he's scared of Clay and barks at him here at home.  He was overwhelmed but that may have been good.  He didn't know what to do or how to react so he took his cues from me and the other dogs, who were all having a good time.  He met a nice family (husband, wife, college-age daughter) who were quite taken with him and spent quite a bit of time with him. 

The end result was that I went by their place after the adoption event, which fortunately wasn't far away and was sort of on my way home.  We spent quite a bit of time there, mostly meeting their cat.  Nero was certainly interested but he wasn't aggressive or obsessive in the way that a prior dog they had met had been.  I brought him back home because he needs to see a vet again and finish his antibiotics.  We have an appointment for Monday.  I think they are interested in giving him a go next weekend.  I think it would be a very good home for him.  I explained to them why he drives me crazy, but I don't think that's likely to be a problem once he is in a home. 

My biggest concern is the cat.  They can separate the animals but of course they want everyone to be one big, happy family.  The jury will be out for a while on that one, but I do think it's worth a try.




I didn't get any new pictures of Thora yesterday.  She is good in a crowd, but she will have to go to a home that understands and can cope with an alpha female shepherd.  That is going to mean no cats, no small dogs, and only a submissive male dog, if any.  Sweet girl, a real daddy's girl, but she can be a bitch.  I tried placing her in a home with a former foster last weekend.  We had met the week before on my marathon drive and the introductions had gone well.  But I wasn't there when she arrived at the new home Friday night and it wasn't long before a fight broke out.  I wasn't even home before I got a call, turned around, and went back to pick her up again. 

People think that boxers are either the ugliest dogs in the world or the cutest, or so ugly that they are cute.  I have to admit that I started out thinking they were ugly, but now I'm a fan.  It's the personality that won me over to the "so ugly they are cute" camp.  I just love them, and I love Willy. 


We got some new pics of him on Sunday.  The woman who was holding him was cold herself and decided he must be cold.  She and a co-conspirator went into Petsmart and found him a "Poison" (heavy metal band) t-shirt and played dress up the boxer. 

Willy didn't care, he might even have liked it.  It's still on him and he hasn't made any effort to remove it. 


1 comment:

bbes tribe said...

Those are some good looking dogs. Sure hope they find a loving home soon.
Wags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica,Lucas