Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cold but sunny

Zora
Zora and Willy

I went to a VGSR adoption event in Front Royal today.  It's a long drive but it often attracts a good crowd.  Not today, unfortunately, but it's always possible that we planted a few seeds that may grow even in the dead of winter. 

It was a cold day so we were set up inside, but I was dressed for the cold and was too hot inside.  The front of the store was in the sun and out of the wind, so several of us hung out mostly outdoors, or at least circulated between inside and out.
Radley
Willy and Thora

No real prospects today.  Someone who is interested in Thora was there and was glad to see that she was still available, but that person won't be ready to adopt for a couple months.  A couple other folks were interested in her today as well, but they all have cats, and I don't think Thora is apt to tolerate a cat.

Willy made lots of friends and fans, including one who is going to send his pic around to some friends. 

Willy and Zora
I did not take Nero, for a couple reasons.  1.  Someone is interested in meeting him next weekend, although they also have a cat.  2.  I think his tail is going to require some medical attention, probably amputation.  The last time I took him hiking I noticed the tip of his already shortened tail was raw and a little bloody looking again.  That may have been due to banging it on the bars of a crate, but it doesn't seem like it's going to heal up.  I've had this situation before, the tail may have been damaged in some pre-existing injury that didn't heal, the dog chews on it making it worse, the tail produces phantom pain from the old injury even if it's healed, ultimately it may need to amputed, making him a bob-tailed shepherd.  We may be making another vet visit this next week to talk about it.  Nero is doing a lot less shrieking now, mostly due to our hiking.  I got the bark collar but haven't used it on him.  Still, I'm glad to have it.  Mostly he just needs a home.

Radley
Zora was cute and sweet as always.  I've got to get her on the web; she will find a home. 

Today was Radley's first outing so I held him myself.  He was good, very friendly with people and with other dogs. 

No comments: