Thursday, January 26, 2012

De-funked!!

I was sitting here in my office working Wednesday evening as usual.  Spartan was in one of the big crates behind me.  I finally couldn't stand the smell any longer.

It has now been over a week since he was neutered, so I'm assuming and hoping that his incision is sufficiently healed up to withstand some water.  His scrotum had gotten swollen too, but that has begun to shrink up already.  He's on doxy for the Lyme disease and I also started him on cephalexin because it sure smelled like he's got some skin infection going on and I know his ears were infected anyway.

I had a spray nozel attached to a hose in the shower and I irrigated those ears thoroughly.  Spartan was really pretty good about the bath, he just hunkered down and let me do it.  The water ran brown and I won't pretend that I got him entirely clean, but he's 85% better anyway and smells better now even as a wet dog.  He had very little loose hair, which is unusual for a shepherd and I suspect just reflects the fact that he doesn't have a full coat of hair right now.  

I took him outside afterwards to shake it off and I put medicine in his ears and Advantix on his back.  He's now snuggled into a crate behind me on clean bedding and the funky bedding and towels are in the wash.

p.s. Thursday afternoon:  He still kind of stinks, but it's a lot better.  I suspect he had a yeast infection going on and it may take another bath or two at least to clear it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing sadder than a wet German Shepherd....poor guy is probably as grateful to be clean as you are to have him cleaned up.