Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Two more short timers?


Yesterday I had a call from a man who was referred to me by the folks at the Almost Home Adoption Center in Nelson County, VA.  He had lost his home, his job, and was about to leave the state.  The placement he had found for his 6 year old rottie had backed out at the last minute.  He was pretty desperate.  He lived down in Amherst County, south of Nelson, and had called Almost Home who referred him to me.  We agreed to meet today and I suggested Almost Home as our meeting point.  I left at noon and he pulled into the parking lot right behind me. 

Breezy is a great dog, a little overweight at 113 pounds, but a great dog nonetheless.  He guy gave me a couple bags of food, which I kept, and two large crates, which I donated to Almost Home because I currently have a good supply.  That is a great little shelter, thanks largely to the efforts of Bette Graham and the Nelson County Humane Society.  I went inside and said hello, and thanks for the referral, before I left.  Bette had just arrived with half a dozen hounds and probably as many cats that she had just pulled from the county's shelter to avoid euthanasia.  I saw her unloading a poor, sweet, emaciated hound who had no idea how lucky he was to be walking in that door.

I stopped at Old Dominion Animal Hospital back in Charlottesville and made an appointment to bring the big girl back a little later for vaccines and a heartworm test. 
Breezy meeting Spartan in the dog yard this afternoon.

My next stop was the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA where I picked up a shepherd, Spartan.  He's probably 6 years old as well, also very sweet.  I had met him in there earlier in the week.  He has an ear infection and was just neutered, and he smells bad. 

Spartan, good looking dog, will be better after a bath

Trooper and Spartan, doing the boy dog dance

Then it was back to Old Dominion with the new rottie girl.  She checked out well, except for testing positive for Lyme disease.  At least she was heartworm negative.  I got a 30-day supply of Doxycycline for her and headed home with two spayed/neutered, vaccinated dogs and all their paperwork. 

I put the two new arrivals in the dog yard together for a while and they were fine together.  Spartan was still enjoying the yard when Breezy was ready to come in, so Trooper came out to meet Spartan while I got Breezy settled in a crate in my office.  Both dogs seem to be good with others.  I have a foster home lined up for Spartan on Sunday and I have a prospective adopter in mind for Breezy.  If things go as I have planned (have they ever?) these two may join the ranks of the short timers.  That would be good because there's two others, both shepherds, that I've also agreed to take. 

Breezy and Spartan, nose to nose

6 comments:

Frodosmom said...

Let me know how it goes with Breezy!!! LOL She looks so sweet!!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine that you will have either of them very long. What nice doggies!

BudsBuddy said...

Breezy does look very good-natured, I bet that man hated to give her up. Kudos to him for going the extra mile(s) to find a safe haven for her. I hope both newcomers will find homes soon.

The Pyramid said...

Does Breezy like cats?

Anonymous said...

Does Breezy like cats?

Brent said...

I don't know about Breezy and cats, but she went to a home today without cats, so it's not an issue.