Thursday, December 22, 2011

Making room at the inn


Ok, I'm pushing the xmas theme this week, but it's the week for it.

When I opened my email and Facebook this morning I was confronted with three dogs.  Dog # 1 is in a rural shelter, but I learned later in the day that some other group was taking him.  That's great, I just hope it wasn't this outfit that I heard of recently that was looking for shepherds to train for police and military work.  They are in it for the money and sell the dogs at a ridiculous price.   What they don't mention, however, is that dogs who don't do well in their program, don't fare well afterwards.  If they can't make a huge profit, they cut their losses.  That is why I will never place a dog with a program like that.  Never.  But I digress. 

Dog # 2 (shown here, left and right) is in a shelter over in the valley that we work with frequently.  He's a big, long-legged boy, whose former owner apparently went to jail.  He looks like a good prospect and one of our volunteers met him today and will be transporting him to me tomorrow. 


Dog #3 is a young girl, about 8 months, maybe slightly shepherdy, but not much.  She is, however, adorable and has a face that reminds me of a cross between our Molly and the late Jeremy. 

All four dogs who were placed last weekend sound like they are doing well.  Ginger is sweet and Ryland is occupying a sofa.  The puppy, Pongo, is already enrolled in a training class for January.  I just heard from Mercedes' new home and she has adjusted to the cats and has assumed responsibility for keeping track of everyone in the household, even making rounds to check on them all.  I'm not surprised about that from her. 

No comments: