Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Storm prep

Three dishwasher loads of dog bowls.
The only snow we've had this year so far was handled by my push broom on the boardwalk. Today I got out the shovel because it sounds like we are in for a big one.

Temporary indoor crates set up in
the kitchen area downstairs.
Any storm around here, real or imagined, causes a panic in the grocery stores and I joined the mob at Giant briefly this afternoon. The bread aisle was pretty empty but I'm not eating much of that these days anyway.

For some reason, storm prep for me is a bit like leaving town. I took out the recycling and the trash; I vacumned. I washed all the dog bowls and a lot of the dog bedding. But I also took down a canopy that can't handle a snow load so the frame wouldn't collapse. I used the tarp to cover the van. I cleaned up all the kennels and dog yards and filled up some containers with water in case we lose power.
The snow would certainly have caused a
collapse of the frame, so I pulled the tarp off.

All 10 dogs will be inside so I set up a couple additional crates downstairs. They may all get bored, but it will be easier on me to make sure they are all warm and well.

Princess after her spay.
Princess got spayed today. I took her to the vet in the morning and picked her up mid-afternoon. She's sleeping it off downstairs but seems to be doing well.







If the tarp stays on, I'll have a clear vehicle
when I pull it off. 

Princess is in one of the downstairs crates
for the night so she doesn't have to do the
stairs. Ochie is another so I don't have to
hear him whine. Sparky will be in the third.

15 gallons of water for dogs to drink and to
flush the toilets if the power goes out.




Drinking water, although if the power is out
and I can't make coffee, I won't be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope your power stays on. I do the same sort of routine in advance of potential power outages.

Kathleen