Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dogs of March

Our Bremo was born in March, 2001, and died
just this past December.
We still miss his smiling face and now Clay
has no one to share his bananas.
March is a time of transition, from winter to spring (hopefully), and today is the Equinox. It's a time that I pause to remember the Dogs of March, those that have left us during this month, some after a lifetime of love, but all far too soon.
Brady was a foster that we never could get
adopted. He was a happy boy.
































Lady was so much like Emmylou that I had to
have her. She gave us the best last year of her life.
Emmylou, the best hiker until Sparky
came along, and the most talkative
until Maya came along. Emmylou loved
everyone, she was a better person than I am.














Tasha, a sweet, loving girl.

Molly, always fun, a great dog
handler herself. I loved to hug that dog.

Stoney, a former foster. He spread
Rottweiler love everywhere he went.
Stonewall, a/k/a Stoney



My first partner died 19 years ago today. This was the quilt panel we made for him as part of the Names Project, AIDS Memorial Quilt. Lacking any design or sewing skills, I just selected a number of t-shirts from our collection that represented things that were part of his life. All of our friends and family had a hand in it.

When I met Clay, he was one of the co-chairs of the October, 1996 quilt display on the National Mall in D.C. That was the last time the Quilt was displayed in its entirety and it was during that event that I submitted Bert's quilt panel thereby completing a transition in my own life.

I feel quite certain that Bert would be happy to be remembered along with the Dogs of March.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brent, Thanks for a great post. Great to see all of the pictures and read the meaningful captions.

Elisabeth Sloan Lichtenberger said...

I am sorry for your many losses, but so happy for your work and passion. You have brought true joy into my life through "Bolt" aka Joe Pike and Polly. These rescued dogs have transformed my life in so many wonderful ways. Thanks!!!