Monday, March 24, 2014

Miles and pounds

I've been racking up the miles on the hiking trails, three more hikes in the past three days. I'm working on the premise that there will be an inverse relationship between the number of miles hiked and my weight. I'm up to 96 miles for the month of March, so I should hit my monthly target of 100 miles with the next hike, hopefully tomorrow. I may even be able to make up the miles I was short for the month of February. The other factor, of course, is food consumption and I ate quite a bit this weekend, so I'm not sure if I had a net gain or loss. I guess it's time to get on the scales again. I'm still really enjoying the hikes though.

Saturday's hike with Maya, 10.46 miles.
Saturday's hike was with Maya for two reasons: (1) She had been out on a longer than usual unauthorized walkabout on Friday, so I was making an effort at keeping her confined on Saturday, but she still needed the exercise; and (2) It was a beautiful day--I expected a lot of people and other dogs out on the trails, so I needed an amiable, or at least controllable dog. And Maya has the energy and stamina for the good long walk that I had planned. We covered over 10 miles at a pretty brisk pace that included some jogging. We saw some deer and encountered a few people and dogs, but not as many as I had anticipated. It was long enough that her desire to roam was satisfied for the day anyway.

I was a stiff on Sunday, from the long hike the day before and because Gigi had me pinned in one position in bed all night. I wasn't planning another big hike but I needed a walk to loosen things up.

4.2 miles with Ochie on Sunday
I took Ochie, because he hadn't been out for a while, and I figured I could handle his bouncing and jerking for a short hike anyway.

We did 4.2 miles and it was just enough to work out the kinks I had developed over night. Ochie settled down a bit after the first mile or two and we had a nice walk, although we didn't set any records for speed or distance.

Monday was cooler, but the sun was shining, which makes it a nice day in my book. I got my work done and then headed out with Sparky, who had been complaining of neglect over the last couple of days.

The Monday Sparky walk, 5.28 miles
Sparky walks are always fun and we did over five miles in pretty good time.








No comments: