Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Trooper's vet visit

Trooper was focused on the door all the
time we were at the vet's office.
Last week I had wormed all the foster dogs, and Vince, with three days of Panacure. About the time that was done I noticed that Trooper had diarrhea, so I started him on Panacure and Maya too for good measure. Trooper is a known poop eater and I haven't been keeping the dog yard cleaned up like I should the last couple of weeks, so that may have been the cause of the diarrhea.

I cut his food way back and started it back slowly. Monday would have been the day he was back eating his regular quantity of food, but the son-of-a-bitch took off for a run around the neighborhood as I was taking them all out Monday morning. He came back after an hour or two, but had missed feeding time. Monday night he started vomiting in the bedroom. Mostly his stomach was empty but he had dry heaves like he was trying to bring something up. He settled down and slept. I woke a couple times during the night to check on him, but he did it at least twice more in the morning. We went to the vet for the first appointment I could get this morning.
He wears a muzzle at the vet's office for
everyone's safety and peace of mind, but
he's pretty manageable with it on, much
better than Vince, or even Trinity

I don't panic the first time a dog barfs, but Molly died after eating garbage and I had no idea what Trooper may have gotten into. He still seemed basically ok, active, energetic, and he wanted to eat breakfast so I didn't think he was in immediate danger, but he definitely wasn't right.

X-rays didn't show any obvious obstruction or other problem, but did show a possible mass of some sort. I opted to forego the ultrasound for now, they gave him injections to stop vomiting and acid production in his stomach to settle things down and we came home. I gave him some food, which he ate eagerly, with some mineral oil to lubricate the digestive system. A little later I gave him a bit of canned food and a capsule they had given me with some tracer elements that will show up well on x-rays if we need to confirm that things are moving through his system. He had another meal, and more mineral oil, this evening. He's resting comfortably, doesn't seem to be in distress, but he's not quite himself this evening.
Maya checking him out when we got home.





Resting in my office Tuesday evening.



4 comments:

Anna said...

I hope he soon gets back to himself. I have a dog that sometimes eats his own poop and did not know to be worried about this? My dog had an ultrasound last year as he seems to have some acid reflux so I have to give him Pepcid or he starts eating grass to make himself puke. Totally infuriating.

Anonymous said...

Hope he is feeling better this morning. It is scary when you can see that your dog is not up to par but you don't know the cause.

Kathleen

Brent said...

Morning update: He pooped before bed last night and seems fine so far this morning, maybe not as bouncy as usual but he barked at a big truck going up the road so he's still on the job. Keeping him under close observation today.

Anonymous said...

I hope that Trooper continues to improve!