Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Building trust

Trinity is beginning to blow her
coat so I need to take a brush
to her, mostly it's blowing all
over my house. 
I don't usually have a lot of problems getting dogs to like me. I supply them with food once or twice a day, I'm around most of the time, and I smell like a lot of dogs. That's usually all it takes, but not with Trinity. She's extremely shy and skittish, particularly with strange men and she still regards me as a stranger, but lately I think we are making progress.
The eyes and ears on this dog are
as alert and intent as any I've seen.

I can touch her now if I
do it slowly.
She now follows me around, even if she likes to keep her distance from me. She comes up behind me and touches me with her nose, and even puts her head on my lap. The progress is not a straight line progression, however. If I make a sudden move, she jumps. When I want to get a leash on her I have to tell her to sit/stay and then approach slowly. When I want to get her in a crate she does a couple laps around the crates before finally going into one, and then it's likely to be a crate that's already occupied.

She's still a scrawny little thing, but I'm feeding
her a lot, I swear. I've just gone to 3x/day.
She likes to play with Maya and she's fine with the other dogs as well. Cabell doesn't care for her because she's jumpy and runs into him. She's a terrible counter surfer, seriously, the worst I've had around here, she needs to be either watched or crated. She's still very thin but I've now got her eating dog food twice a day and chicken and rice for a third meal. I may mix up a batch of Satin Balls for her this weekend. She certainly eats well and seems to be pooping well too.

I did two, four mile hikes today--one with Trinity and a second with Maya. I could take the two of them together actually. I've still got three collars on Trinity and I used two leashes on her when we walked, taking no chances. As I'm writing this, she is curled up on the bed in the corner under my desk, essentially between my legs. That's a first for her. That's Vince's usual spot and he's none to happy about her being there. I think the spay appointment for her is next week and after that she will move to another foster home.

She still sneaks up and checks
me out from behind. She's a
bit camera-shy too.

Pretty girl, pretty face

That's Trooper on the bed behind her.

It's only been the last couple of days
that she comes and sits near me.

Trinity on our walk this afternoon.

This was a first this evening.
She took Vince's bed under my desk,
she even laid her head on my foot.
Vince was not amused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trinity is a beautiful girl! I think she is starting to get sweet on you:-)