Thursday, March 6, 2014

Surprise shepherd

I got an owner surrender call yesterday. The guy had moved in with his wife's mother and couldn't take the dog who was currently staying with a friend someplace where he wasn't allowed to have a dog. He had tried the Fluvanna SPCA and was told they would only take strays, not owner surrenders (not sure about this, but that's what he told me, maybe because they are full?) Because it was a shepherd, however, they referred him to me and I told him to bring me the dog today for a meeting.

Her name is Trinity, about 2.5 years old, supposedly vaccinated but without records, not spayed. She's shy and scared, but seems to be better with women (she gave our housecleaner a kiss). On the plus side, she's house-trained and has lived with children her entire life, and she seems to be fine with other dogs. I was told she doesn't like cats.

The surprise is really just for Clay because he went out of town today and didn't know she was coming. She's not the first surprise shepherd to show up when he's been out of town, however, so I don't think he'll be really shocked.

She's in the office with Vince, Gigi, Maya, and me. She met Cabell downstairs earlier. She initially picked a spot to lay by the door but just now she has come up behind me to give me a get-acquainted-sniff. She seems like a nice girl.  She's thin, but not emaciated. We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning.




No comments: