Saturday, May 20, 2017

Getting back at it

It doesn't matter where I've been or how long I've been gone, it's just tough getting back into the groove after being away. I fall into a funk and don't feel like doing anything.  Work, household stuff, dogs, it's all the same and I don't want to do any of it.
Trooper

It started when I walked in the door.  There had been three inches of rain while I was gone and the house smelled like 10 wet dogs had been living there.  And it appeared that a husky had been exploded and its fur evenly distributed throughout the house.  The next day, while trying to get back into the work routine, I discovered a tick on me in what must be the absolute worst location for a man to have a tick.  The removal left that body part quite sore and I am dreading the swelling and itching that I typically experience as an allergic reaction to ticks. With no food in the house I nearly succumbed to fast food, but stopped myself with the realization that the five minutes of satisfaction it would provide would be followed by many hours of self-loathing, so I went to the grocery store instead. I got the house back to an acceptable balance of clean vs. doggy, and I treated all the dogs for fleas and ticks.
TJ

The next day, my computer died.  

I had to put in some work hours on Saturday because I hadn't been very productive on Thursday and Friday. I couldn't make myself get outside even though it was a cooler day and I had grass that needed mowing. I could have easily spent the day watching bad television and eating too much food.

I knew what I needed to do even though I didn't want to do it. Disgusted with myself and feeling guilty about the dogs, I loaded up Maya, TJ, and Trooper and we set out for a hike. I was just going to go a couple miles because I was in a bad mood and really didn't want to be out there.  After two miles, however, it happened. I felt better physically and my attitude was much better, so we hiked another two miles. Not a big hike, but a start back on the road I needed to be on.  There's a meme I have seen on Facebook a number of times that states: "Food is the most abused anxiety drug and exercise is the most underutilized antidepressant."  It's certainly true for me and it works for me every time.


Maya and Trooper


Honeysuckle is an awful weed, but the smell
is wonderful. 













No comments: