Monday, May 29, 2017

This is a good dog

Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while knows that I don't hold much back when it comes to my dogs. I share the good, the bad, and the ugly. It doesn't make sense to sugarcoat a foster dog's bad habits. They are what they are, and any potential adopter should know about it  up front, at least to the extent that I do. I can't guarantee any dog's behavior in a new home, but I can and will tell you about the experience the dog has had in mine.
TJ (right) has been less than welcoming, but
Duke doesn't reciprocate and doesn't escalate.
I took them walking today to try to forge a
bond of sorts. They were fine walking together.

It's with that mindset that I can say that Duke is a good dog. He peed and pooped in my house the first day. He marked because he's an un-neutered male (until Wednesday) and lots of other male dogs have marked in my house before him. He pooped because he had been on the road all day and it was raining when he arrived here and I didn't get him outside. He hasn't done either on day two, but even if he had, I'd still say unequivocally, that this is a good dog. Bathroom habits are just that - habits, they can be changed and they are not temperament, and that's what makes a good dog.
This is what I was hoping for, nose-to-nose time,
submissive kisses from Duke, and hopefully TJ
will realize that he's not a threat or challenge to
his position in the pack.

I took Duke out for a five mile hike today with Maya and TJ. Pleasant Grove was pretty much empty but we did meet another walker early on who wanted to pet the dogs. Maya isn't really interested in petting from strangers, but she said hello. TJ is good with people and he got his due, but Duke stepped up, leaned in to the stranger and presented him with all the dog anyone would ever want or need to pet.

I love this shot, out of focus as it is,
just for the tails - held high and curled
up over their backs.
Duke passed through half a dozen transporters in the last 48 hours and was calm and comfortable with everyone. He met a baby and small children upon arrival at Green Dogs and he came home with me and settled in here without hesitation. He met a houseful of dogs when he got here and immediately tried to engage in play. Everything I've seen of this dog tells me that he's rock solid, sweet, and lovable. I haven't yet tried him with cats, but I'd bet $20 that he will be good with them too.
I don't think Duke has had much experience on a leash,
but he was really pretty good, no pulling.

Whatever went into his genetic makeup, the outcome is one awesome dog.



















No comments: