Thursday, December 7, 2017

Home for the holidays

I saw her on Facebook a couple days ago, from a shelter in southwest Virginia that Animal Connections frequently pulls dogs from. Dumped at a shelter at 10+ years old. That's no way to die.
Just off the transport with a stranger
(me) holding her leash. Confused,
but hoping for the best.

This evening she's in my kitchen on a comfortable dog bed. We've been to the vet for vaccines already. She had been pulled from the shelter by a volunteer prior to transporting her up here. She had taken the dog to the vet already and had treated her for a urinary tract infection and cleaned her up a bit and showed her some love and comfort. For that I'm grateful. But she needs, and deserves, more.

First stop, the vet's office.
She's now had vaccines, some worm medicine, and I'll be starting her on some pain meds tomorrow. Her tail was tucked throughout the transport and vet visit, but it's finally emerged from beneath her body this evening, although I've yet to see it wag. Her initial looks were questioning and somewhat distrustful. I look forward to seeing a smile.
Letting me hold her head for a moment.

Questioning, but not entirely distrustful.
I'll give her a day or two to check out the program around here and learn to trust me a bit before I take her for a bath, although she desperately needs one now. Her coat is dry, dull, and mostly dead, but at least she has one, unlike some dogs who have arrived here virtually bare.

The vet put her at 12+ years and her teeth look to be every bit of that. But her heart was good and I think the dog has a good heart in both senses of the word.

Her name is Blackey, but I don't know if that's always been her name or just a descriptive name they've been calling her. I think a new name may be in order.





Uncertain, but cooperative with everything.

In the exam room, she settled down in a corner, away from
everything as much as possible but I got a couple pictures
by lowering the camera under my chair.


She looks more relaxed at least.



Once we got home she didn't really want to leave the van.
She was comfortable in there and felt safe.


She's calm, low key.
She met Trooper, who is our most comforting dog for the
newcomers. She met Maya, TJ, and Vince too. She will not
be a problem with any of the dogs.


Now she's beginning to look at me directly.



You can see that she wants to trust me.
Settling into her spot. I promised her things will look better in the morning.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dog bless you, every one.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Brent - it has been my pleasure to have Blackey with me for the last month. She is one of the most humbling dogs I've had in my home - so courageous and willing to trust, even after being let down by humans many times before.

You should know her 'beginning', which for us is sadly just the last few weeks. I wish we could have been in her life sooner. She and her brother were dumped at the shelter one frigid day. The reason? Because her brother stopped walking that morning. He wasn't taken to a vet to see what was wrong or even to make the humane decision - he was dumped, with Blackey, at the shelter with little consideration of what that meant or how it would end.

Our rescue took her brother, whom I christened Bear, to the vet imnediately. The diagnosis was brain cancer that he had likely been declining from for a while. The right decision was to help him pass peacefully from his pain. So I sat with him for quite a while - a stranger - giving him as much love as possible in those final minutes. He would lean his head into my ear scratches, blind from the cancer but still able to recognize a gentle hand and word. We helped him to rest, surround by several people who offered love unconditionally.

I vowed that night that Blackey would walk out of the shelter the next day. Her coat was even worse than you see now. Perspective is relative, isn't it? I have been so pleased with the small signs of new growth and shine - but my starting point is different than yours. I sat with her on our porch the first night and pulled indescribable mounds of dead, matted fur from her. She then had a medicated bath, perhaps her first one, just a couple of days later.

Like you, the first tail wag, the first smile, are precious. You will find she loves treats, and her exuberance will make you laugh. And, just a couple of nights ago, she played for the first time with one of her foster siblings. I only wish we could have given Bear the same.

Our deepest thanks to you for opening up your home to her. You have helped saved two lives as a result - hers, and the next dog we can pull to safety because her spot is open again. It takes strength to rescue seniors, since we each know the time is often too short with them. We wish for more, but treasure the time we do have to experience their their love and grace.

My love and gratitude to you, your husband, and all of your 'kids' - blessings to you all.

With rescue warmth,
Loni Willey, Happy Tails Animal Rescue

Anonymous said...

Just one more thought as I look at her last photo in your blog - resting so comfortably on the big, beautiful bed. When she first came to us, it took two weeks for her to rest on a dog bed. She would curl up on the floor next to one of the several throughout our home. It is obvious she didn't know what they were for. Those old bones - on hardwoods here and who knows what before. I'm sure she will rest peacefully on her huge new bed. -Loni

Margo said...

Blackie will soon know how lucky she is that you found her.

Brent said...

Loni, thank you for all you did for her, including getting her to me. We'll do our best to see that she has a good life, however long that may be.

Veronica said...

Thank you for rescuing and fostering her. In the last picture you can see hope in her eyes.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful girl, thank you for taking her in.

Liz Sloan said...

Thank you for your work! We have two,rescued dogs from southwest Virginia. They both came from Brent. Younger Great Pyrs. This is a true story of grace and healing.

Andrea said...

Oh, I see the SW dogs for rescue on FB through one of my HOWS friends, and Blackey tugged at my heart. I am SO, SO glad she ended up with you. Thank you so much (and to Loni, too - nice to read her story above)!

hammer1924 said...

Ah another dog tail I will think about for days, so glad for the kindness of people like you and Loni, Brent. Love this!!! Victoria