Thursday, December 14, 2017

Jackie's Spa Day

My good friend Tricia came by recently to meet Jackie. Jackie is still wary of strangers, and Tricia didn't push herself on her. Instead, she sat down on the floor (which, in our house, requires a leap of faith or a total disregard for one's clothing) and let Jackie approach on her own terms. She also brought Jackie a bright new winter coat that I wouldn't let her wear until after a bath.

The bathtub is upstairs, where Jackie has never been. I put a leash on her and led her up the stairs. She managed it but I think she's going to be happiest as a downstairs dog. She handles the few steps in and out of the house with ease, but a flight of stairs was a bit much for her and it may have been a new experience.

I know that Jackie's rescuer had given her a bath and she acted like an old pro in the tub although I had to lift her into it, of course. She just stood or sat and let me take as long as I wanted to wash her thoroughly and get off as much of that dead loose hair as possible. I got her out of the tub, toweled her off, carried her downstairs, and got her out into the sun to finish drying.

Later in the day we went outside again and she modeled her new coat.

I'm not sure Jackie is a dog who will ever give us the smile we'd like to see on her face, but she's adjusting really well around here, gets along with all the other dogs, and seems to enjoy the activity. I don't think she's totally deaf, but she does seem to be hard of hearing. I let her out to wander the yard with Vince and/or Sparky, but she's never far away.

I will keep Jackie as one of our dogs until a better offer comes along. We don't know how much time she will have, but it could be a year or more. She's a good, sweet dog, and an easy keeper.







Jackie usually moves at a fairly slow pace, but
I have seen her kick it up a notch or two to a trot.
It was sunny but a little chilly outside so
we didn't stay outdoors for long. I put
towels on her bed so she to finish drying.


That's Sparky out strolling with Jackie.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie looks lovely in her new coat!

Risa said...

She looks like a dog who is bewildered by her good fortune. "Is all this kindness really happening to me?"
Give her an extra biscuit from me.

Byron's Mom said...

Jackie is a really pretty girl! There is a pic of her that looks like her eyes are smiling at you:-)