Saturday, December 9, 2017

Blackie to Jackie

Blackie is becoming Jackie. It's a similar sounding name and about the only female name I could think of that rhymes with Blackie. She's settling in here very well. As of today she is eating, drinking, and behaving normally for a dog around here. She has met everyone. Her housetraining isn't entirely there yet, so I've been keeping her in the kitchen with the new, easy to clean, tile floor. That's where she's staked out her bed and she seems quite content there. She has no problems on the two or three stairs that lead into and out of the house, but I haven't asked her to try the full flight of wooden steps to the second floor. We have enough dogs upstairs anyway, so keeping her downstairs works out well.

She's getting a couple tramadol with meals for pain, based on the assumption that she's surely got some arthritis. This morning I observed that her stool was very soft so I gave her some canned pumpkin with her dinner.

I've been letting her go outside to wander around the fenced yard on her own, much like Vince. She's been exploring but doesn't seem inclined to wander far from the house. I'm still keeping an eye on her, however, to make sure she doesn't try to go through the four board fence across the front of the property. Vince doesn't, and I'm hoping that she will consider it a boundary line much like he does.
Jackie meeting Griff
That's snow on her face and back.

So far, so good.

Exploring the property

I'm happy to see her tail up.
Jackie, Theo, and Trooper in the snow

Jackie and Theo.  I saw her run a bit today too.


I did a lot of cooking today while it was snowing
so I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with Jackie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy Jackie is with you. I only wish more could have been done for her brother. I never will understand people. If you are not going to treat your dogs like a loving member of the family, then don't bother getting one or two!

Thank you for all you do for these dear animals.

Jamie

Byron's Mom said...

I am so grateful you have Jackie. She's going to know the good life now.