Thursday, October 18, 2018

Serena's Spay

It was originally scheduled for Tuesday. Clay dropped her off on his way to work. They had a dental procedure ahead of her spay that ended up taking longer than expected. When they went to get her from her run, she was all growly at everyone. The end result is that we rescheduled the spay to Thursday so I could take her in and stay with her until they got her ready.

Serena has been such a sweetheart around here that I had forgotten that she did the same thing when she first arrived here. The prior owners had told me about it even. When she's in her "safe spot" and scared of strangers around her, she growls when anyone approaches, human or canine. She did it the first day or two here, I guess, but I was always able to reach in and get a leash on her. She never snapped or snarled. Once she's out of the crate it seems that everything is fine and the growls disappear. After spending a day with her in my office, we got acquainted and she learned the routine; she would come out of her crate on her own and go downstairs to go outside. She's been so sweet and easy that I completely forgot about the growliness and therefore didn't alert the vet. I guess her fear of strangers isn't gone, just her fear of Clay and me.

The vet's office is a scary place.
So I took her in to the vet today and stayed with her a while. I put a muzzle on her and they gave her a shot of happy juice and then took it from there. I went in this afternoon and went back to get her from her run where she was sleeping off the drugs. She was happy to see me and happy to be back home. I set her up in Clyde's big crate in the kitchen so she doesn't have to do the stairs.
She had a worried look on her face.



This is Serena's version of sitting in my lap. She did not walk
around the room checking things out, she stayed right on top of me.


Even with this much body contact, she still wanted my hands
to be actively engaged in petting her as we waited.



I'm a sucker for that sad, scared face.






She still likes a crate and feels safe and secure in there.
She went immediately for it when we got in the door.


No comments: