Thursday, October 4, 2018

Sparky's got his bounce back

His sparkle. His exuberance. His joie de vivre. Call it what you will, Sparky is back to his old self. Sparky bounces when he runs, it's sort of a skipping kind of gait that sacrifices some speed and forward motion in favor of a joyful leap. He's the only dog we've had who moves like that and it's great to see him do it again. I even saw him rolling on his back in the grass today.

I think he's actually gained some weight since the beginning of this ordeal and I probably have too, eating up all the food I bought for him that he rejected. For future reference, I think I'd go directly to baby food for getting a dog to eat who doesn't feel like it. He's back to eating regular dog food now, if I add chicken broth and cut up a hot dog or two to mix in with it.

Tomorrow is two weeks since his surgery for bloat and gastric torsion so we'll be going to the vet to get the staples removed. He's never messed with them, as far as I know, but I expect he will be glad to have them out. When he first started getting the spring in his step, he would bounce once or twice and then stop, probably because the movement was pulling at the staples. We will all be glad to put this health crisis behind us and hope it never happens again to any other dog.









The empty food dish was my goal and greatest joy for the
past week or so.

I wasn't quick enough with the camera but this
was Sparky getting up from his roll in the grass.

You can see the shaved area still, but the fur is growing back.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent,

I found and started following the blog about the time Sparky had his emergency. Glad he's getting back to himself.

I check the blog every morning now, it gives me a smile I can face the daily grind with.

Thank you for what you're doing.

Byron's Mom said...

This makes me so happy to hear!!!