Monday, October 15, 2018

Small, Medium, and Large

Size is a matter of perspective. I've always referred to Maya as "my little girl." She even responds to it, although she may just be responding to the sound of my voice when I call. Coco upset the size-based term of endearment, because it was natural to refer to her as the little girl. We now try to refer to Coco either by her name or as the "wee one." Serena isn't about to be confused with any other dog.

I took the three girls on a walk today, presenting the full range of small, medium, and large dogs. I recognize that little dog people would consider Maya a large dog at 65 pounds or so, and would consider any Dane to be a giant, well beyond the "large dog" size range. But around here, Maya is the little girl and she's a medium sized dog at most. Coco is probably the smallest adult dog we've ever had. Anything smaller than Coco I have trouble even recognizing as a dog. Serena is a large dog, but she's the smallest Dane we've had in a while and she's certainly not a "giant" on our household size scale.

Of course I couldn't convince them to line up in size order for a group photo, they are three girls after all, and each had her own idea about where to stand. They walk together really well, though, so I've got to overlook the fact that they are less than compliant as photo subjects.








Serena and her shadow.
Maya usually walks directly behind most of the time, but
Serena has taken that spot so Maya was actually out front
more than usual today. 

Serena walks beautifully.








No comments: