Saturday, December 29, 2018

Surprise Shepherds

Mela coming out of the shelter.
My first look at Angel coming out.
Clay loves surprises, and he loves shepherds. And I didn't get him anything for Christmas, so today I brought home not one, but two surprise shepherds.

Both were owner surrenders to a local shelter that was already full. I had heard about Angel yesterday and was planning to bring her home, but then Mela showed up too, and I wasn't about to leave a five month old GSD puppy in a shelter.

Angel is the gray one, actually sable I suppose. She will be six years old at the end of January. She is petite and still looks and acts very much like a puppy. She's been an "outside" dog but she came indoors here and ran up the stairs like an old pro. She also used a crate without difficulty this afternoon. She is said to be good with kids, cats, and dogs, but all I can vouch for personally is that she's good with dogs.

The puppy's name is Mela. Is that a name from some book or movie I know nothing about? Seems like an odd, make up name to me, but I doubt that I'll have her long enough to worry about the name. Her former owner paid a ridiculous amount of money for the dog and then took her to a shelter because he didn't have time for her. She's cute, sweet, friendly, but I think today is the first time she's met and played with other dogs. Mela seemed unsure about the stairs, both going up and coming down, but she saw Coco, Angel, and Maya do it and she wasn't about to be left behind.







Angel meeting Maya. Maya lets them know that she's in
charge, but she's fine with new fosters coming in.
Angel initiating play with Mela.














3 comments:

hammer1924 said...

Good lord two beautiful animals. That Mela. Hope Smokey is doing ok.

Risa said...

All the dogs are beautiful, but that puppy is the cutest thing on 4 legs.
If Siegfried would tolerate a sister, I'd be on my way to adopt her now.

Sharon said...

Beautiful girls