Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Day with Daisy

Daisy has a nice, alert, Rottie look.
Daisy's first night was uneventful. She was content and quiet on her bed. She ate breakfast and then welcomed Romeo into her space. I started with Romeo because he seemed the most interested in meeting her. He is not yet neutered (Tuesday is his day) and she's a new young female, although she is already spayed. She was perfectly fine with him, and I saw no reason to think she'd have a problem with any of the other dogs.

I was just puttering around outdoors for the most part, planting the last of the things I had bought for the container gardens. I cycled several of our dogs though during the course of the day. She met Maya, Trooper, Arby, Romeo, and Theo. She met the Danes nose-to-nose, but through the fence, and watched as they engaged in their horse play. I'm saving those two and Max for another day.

Basically Daisy is a big puppy. She's playful, seems respectful of her canine elders. Her manners leave a little something to be desired, she gets excited and jumps on me more than I like, and she uses her mouth more than I like but it's a soft mouth, no grabbing, just open and flying around.

This evening I took her out on a walk, with Arby. He was a good choice because he's easy so I could give all of my attention, and strength, to her if needed. She really wasn't bad. She looked to Arby a lot and basically did whatever he was doing, with her own puppy-like spin on it, of course. I think I'll take her with Maya next time. Arby barked at a passing jogger, and Daisy immediately did the same. I don't think she would have on her own, she was just following Arby's lead. For that reason, I think Maya will be a better companion for him. She ignores people entirely, preferring that I deal with them.

It was a good first day. She doesn't seem at all traumatized by the move, just trying to figure things out around her.

Here's Romeo on the inside with Daisy,
Della and Arby on the other side of the fence.




















Meeting the Danes can be intimidating, especially when Serena is keyed up.
They will be fine together, but I'm going to give that another day.


No comments: