Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Three walks, six dogs, five miles

Today turned out to be much nicer than its forecast. The sun came out in the afternoon, at least partly and it was a pretty pleasant day. I didn't sleep well last night because I had never left my desk the day before so I knew I needed to get out for a walk.

I started with Della and Romeo (a/k/a The Big Hairy Beast). I needed to walk Romeo on the Gentle Leader again. It was better today, he didn't fight it much, and we got in our two mile walk, sticking to the roadway at Pleasant Grove because the trails are undoubtedly quite muddy. Although he still doesn't care much for the Gentle Leader, it sure makes him easy to walk, and he will get used to it.

His facial expression betrays his feelings
about the Gentle Leader.
I came home and swapped dogs, taking the tawny girls, Maya and Serena. They are an easy pair to walk and I enjoyed the second walk more than the first because I wasn't dealing with a grumpy Romeo. Serena has spotted rabbits a couple times in the same place and she was all keyed up looking for them. Maya only gets that excited about deer and it was midday and we were out in the open so the chances of deer spotting were slim.

The third walk was just under a mile with the old guys, Trooper and Arby. Those two are close in age, but the age weighs more heavily on the larger dog. Arby could and would have gone further but he seemed happy just to be going. Good walks and I'll sleep better tonight. I expect the dogs will as well.

In the evening we went to town, picked up dinner from the Southern Crescent in Charlottesville and went to Clay's mother's place. His brother, Hugh, is in town now as well. We took Romeo along as well. He stayed in the van while we ate dinner, no problem at all either riding or waiting in the van. He had met Berta before but this was his time meeting Hugh and it was his best first time experience with a new person. We all sat down and Romeo was right in the middle of us all. Hugh fed him treats, and even got him to "sit." Romeo was happy, engaged, and relaxed. We weren't there long enough that Hugh was able to earn touching privileges, but that's all right. I really felt he was moving forward.


But he didn't fight it and didn't hyperventilate;
two miles passed with minimal grumbling.
Della would occasionally turn around and give
him the "what is your problem, dude" look.

He looked put upon, but he survived.

Serena was quite happy and excited to go, but she still
walks nicely on the leash. I had a Gentle Leader on her but
never needed to use it.








I always carry at least two poop bags and
we stopped at this station to pick up some more.

There were no bags in this dispenser, but the left slot had a
bird's nest and five beautiful blue eggs. Not a great spot for
a nest. I don't know if the eggs are viable but I hope so.




Arby and Trooper were both happy to go for a walk.




Romeo was happy enough to eat out of Hugh's hand,
but he still wasn't quite ready to allow Hugh to touch him.


No comments: