Monday, May 11, 2020

Weekend Yardwork and a Mothers Day Breakthrough

Clay is working on weekends now and even if he wasn't, there's really no place to go and nothing to do so I've been catching up on a couple years of "deferred maintenance" in the yard. I didn't plant my container garden last summer and we had puppies, so the only yard work I did was enough mowing to keep the place presentable. What I was presented with this year is a yard with several out of control areas. The primary problem is undesirable weeds and vines that grow up under, into, and around desirable trees and shrubs. The pokeweed grew unchallenged last summer, and the honeysuckle and wild blackberry has been growing for at least two years. 

Clearing it means crawling around under bushes, pulling and digging anything that doesn't belong, and then spraying the cutoff stumps and roots as well as anything that tries to mount a comeback. It's not exactly dog activity, but Della, Serena, Max, Theo, and Romeo are out with me all day, while Trooper and Arby make occasional appearances. The Danes entertain themselves pretty well, Max carries his stick, and Theo repeatedly brings me the remnants of his jolly ball to throw as best I can. 

I got quite a bit done, but of course I came up with a dozen more projects that each need a few days' work. I also got a tick bite on my butt, but didn't find the tick, which is concerning. If this become the stay-at-home summer as it's looking to be, I should make some solid progress.

Sunday evening Clay's mother and brother(Hugh) came out for Mothers' Day and I grilled hotdogs. I had put several of our dogs out in Daneland so we didn't have a mob scene in the house. Hugh and I went out there so he could meet Romeo again. They had met briefly in town last week. Romeo was playing with the toy that had come along with him and was acting very puppy-like. After we had sat for a bit Romeo actually came up to Hugh on his own and allowed him to pet, touch, and rub all over him. I was quite surprised but pleasantly so. Tomorrow he goes to the vet for vaccines and exam. I don't expect him to love it, but I hope he isn't so traumatized by the experience that it sets back the progress that we've made. 





This is our lineup of mowers for the  year. #1 mower on the left is a Husqvarna 56" cut zero turn.
It was out of commission during the early spring cut, however, so we were using #2 mower,
 an old Troy-Bilt rider (not pictured)  until it's engine died. #1 mower came back, but we still
needed a #2, so our stimulus money bought the new #2 mower, in the center, a 48" Husqvarna.
On the right is #3 mower, a CubCadet walk behind, which I use to cut the grass in Daneland
and along the front of the road. It's self-propelled, but it's a heavy bastard and using it is a
great arm, shoulder, and back workout.
This little stand of crepe myrtle was overgrown with
honeysuckle. It was Saturday's project.

I got more pictures of Serena than usual this weekend because
I was outside but not on the mowers for the most part.
Serena does not like the mowers, nor does Romeo.


Serena can not get a crate to herself. Della would
rather squeeze in next to her than take the bed.

Sunday morning wake up call.

Theo with the very sad remnants of a once great ball.


Romeo, Arby, and Theo



Romeo with his toy.

Clay's brother Hugh, with Romeo


A nice picture of Clay with Della.



























Della and Serena horse play



No comments: