Sunday, May 24, 2020

Romeo!

We finalized Romeo's adoption today. I say "we" because there were a lot of people involved in this rescue.

Tina Gaines first contacted me about Romeo. I've known Tina for years from CASPCA and Service Dogs of Virginia and known that she has always had Bernese Mountain Dogs. She knew me as a shepherd person but knew that I like a variety of large breed dogs. Tina is with the Central Virginia branch of the Bernese owners organization. They were contacted by the young woman who was looking for a new home for Romeo. Tina and I went to Farmville to meet Romeo and bring him home. She has been helpful in many ways, coming out to the house on several occasions to meet him. She and others with the group have provided food and supplies, as well as moral and financial support for Romeo, and for me. An of course, Debbie Thomas with Promises Animal Rescue, didn't even hesitate when I told her I was intaking a Berner into the group. Dr. Kramer and everyone at Old Dominion Animal Hospital went above and beyond to provide first ever vet care for this guy and he was not an easy patient. Rescue is not a solo operation and this one in particular had a lot of people behind it. Thank you all.

The adopters are a couple that I have known for years. They had adopted Toquima from me years ago. Long time readers of this blog have seen Toquima from time to time because he would come to stay with us when they were out of town. Toquima has a shepherd/husky mix and one of the best dogs I've ever had the privilege of fostering. That dog had a rock solid temperament and I said to myself many time I wish I could have cloned him because he would have worked out beautifully for many people in many situations. Toquima passed away a while back and a while later they began looking for another dog. They submitted applications to several organizations but I really hoped that I would have a dog for them. I didn't, until Romeo came along. They indicated an interest in him and came out to meet him. There's not a shepherd in the world that could ever hold a candle to Toquima, so going in a new direction, to another breed, was probably a good idea.

Tina went with me to their home today when we completed the adoption. They've got a big beautiful deck and a lovely house in a wooden area. We all sat outside, far apart and all masked up, because that's how you do rescue work in the time of Covid-19. Romeo stuck close to me, as expected, but he took treats from them both while we were still there. I had an email from them earlier this evening letting me know that he was already coming up to the man for petting. The prior owner had been a woman and she had some problems, so Romeo may be that rare rescue that prefers men over women. That just means the woman will have to make a little more effort, and she will. I have no doubt that she will exercise all the patience required to win him over.

So, it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, but so far, so good, and I'm hopeful that this will work out in the long run. (An added bonus is that Romeo will be coming here to stay whenever they travel, as Toquima did, and I'm not at all sorry about that.)
















No comments: