Monday, December 28, 2020

Worst. Walk. Ever.

My knees hurt. My lower back really hurts, and I know it will hurt worse tomorrow. My arms and shoulders are exhausted, I can't really feel the hurt just yet. My mistakes are too many to list, but the top of the list for today was the mistake of walking two untrained dogs at once. That error was compounded by the fact that one of those dogs was a Rottweiler and the other was a puppy. 

I took Malia and Dasher, leaving Maya at home today because I thought three dogs would be too much. That was yet another mistake because having Maya along might have had a moderating influence even if it meant wrangling a third leash. I knew what to expect from Dasher. He was all over the place, constantly changing sides behind me and wrapping my legs up with the leash. I didn't know what to expect from Malia, which was all the more reason to have taken Maya along or taken Malia by herself for her first walk. Malia is sweet, just like Dasher, but she's a young rottie and very powerful. She's built low to the ground and she must weigh at least 80 pounds, all of it young, solid, muscle. She seemed to have no guidance system or concept of following a trail. She was all over the place and when she stopped, she intended to stay stopped. 

I took a break after a mile and seriously considered ending the walk then. I carried on but took another break and sat on a bench after the second mile. I rarely stop and sit while walking. Generally speaking, I'm better off if I keep moving, but I needed the breaks today. We ended the walk after 2.6 miles. I didn't have the desire or energy to try to make it an even three miles.

I'm not walking the two of them together again. When I walk Malia again it will be either with prong collar or with her leash attached to my waist so it's her body weight against mine. I think my next walk with the puppy, Dancer, will be on a shorter leash, and with Maya.

They had a great time, it was only miserable for me.

Malia, 80+ very solid and energetic pounds of Rottweiler. 

Dasher, 33 pounds of pure energy








Don't let their sweet, innocent faces fool you. I'm convinced they were out to kill me today.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing that might help is front hook harnesses. Much harder for dog to pull with those. (Not meant as criticism, just suggestion.) Love your blog and all you do for the dogs!