Thursday, December 3, 2020

Beautiful Bessie

 I must admit that I was a little surprised about the amount of attention and interest Bessie attracted. She's got a pretty smile and she's a very fine dog, but she's a bit of a "plain Jane" when it comes to looks. Although I was happy to take her in, I really thought it might take a while to find her a home. I was wrong again and am happy to admit it. One thing I've found about mixed breed dogs that are not necessarily striking in their appearance is that they may look like a dog that many people have had before in their lives and loved dearly. Sometimes that gets them interest and attention that I might not have expected. And then again, people aren't all shallow, bottom-feeding creatures that seem so prevalent these days. There are good people out there and Bessie went home to live with two of them today.

These folks have adopted not one, but two dogs from me previously and have come to trust my judgment. I love that aspect of dog rescue, having the opportunity to place dog after dog with the same people knowing that each successive dog will have a great life. Their last one was a well loved but not always easy female German Shepherd Dog, which is how most female shepherds are charitably described. I think Bessie will be just as loving but hopefully not quite as challenging. She's certainly been an easy foster around here, one that we can trust loose in the house when we are gone, and one that even earned bedroom privileges. 

She started out named Beastie and lived on a chain. She was lucky to have been the recipient of a dog house from HOWS, and medical care and a spay from HOWS. And she was really lucky when HOWS re-homed her to us because now she has a better life ahead of her than would be possible on 20' of chain. We changed Beastie to Bessie because she was no beast. She's actually a sweet little girl who maybe wasn't born under a lucky star but had a guardian angel who has been working overtime on her behalf. I hope that angel continues to watch over her, but she now has two good people to watch out for her as well.

Bessie has found a new home. We should be very happy for Bessie. Good night Bessie.






2 comments:

Risa Lapidow said...

AWW....that makes my heart happy. And I know what you mean about repeat adopters.
I hope that Bessie and her family have a long and happy life together. And the people who kept her chained out should rot in hell forever.

Anonymous said...

She is very loving and snuggly. Happy to have her although she does not have much to say compared to the Shepherd who had an opinion about everything! She is fitting in very well- thank you so much Brent and Green Dogs Unleashed.