Tuesday, January 5, 2021

2020 fosters, by the numbers

I've never been one to keep track of the number of fosters that we've had for a couple reasons. First, it's sort of pointless, especially since the number is so small in comparison to the need. Second, I'm not that good at keeping track of anything. 

When I did "The Obligatory Year End Post" I didn't know the number of fosters that we had over the course of the year and I just used some recent pictures of former fosters. However, yesterday evening I had time on my hands because it gets dark so early so I went thru the archive of blog posts and pulled together a list of foster dogs that we had during 2010. There were 39. But that's not 39 adoptions, because we still had four foster dogs at the end of the year. So by my reckoning that makes 35 adopted dogs in 2010. Like I said, a drop in the seemingly infinite bucket. It was sort of fun pulling the list together because there were several dogs I had almost forgotten about. That generally happens when they were great dogs, easy fosters, and/or got adopted quickly. Here's a look back, in rough chronological order.

Dobby, a deaf and blind Great Dane. I was amazed how he learned to make his way in the world,
mostly by scent and touch. He was a pleasure to hike with.

Kami was the first to two white shepherds we had very close together after not having one in years.

Hammer, a yellow lab mix, all around good boy.

Hatchet came in with Hammer but was adopted out separately, which is generally better for both dogs.


Tuck is now with a family who adores him.


Moo, was and still is, a big mushy sweetheart.

Copper. I think we passed this one on to another foster.

R.W., now Arby, was the only foster that we kept this year. That's pretty good, isn't it?

Pinky came from deplorable conditions and has had one of the biggest upgrades to her standard of
living. She benefitted from COVID because her new owner was home and worked with her constantly.

Brutus went to a friend who tells me that he's quite a deer hunter.

Leo was a rather beautiful GSD pup. That tail is just incredible.

Sadie now lives with friends and neighbors.

Romeo was my first Bernese Mountain Dog and he was unsocialized. 
He was adopted by Toquima's family and is now doing well.

Daisy went to a multi-Rottweiler adopter and brings her joy daily.

Bruno was one of my favorites. He displayed some unknown fear and anxiety issues in his new home,
but they are working on them.

Along with Bruno and Luna came these four, six-month old pups. I called them all Trooper
and they moved on to other foster homes and were all adopted. The pups demonstrate some
creative math on my part. I count litters as pups as one when we have them, because it helps
keep our perceived numbers down. However, I count them individually after they've been adopted.

Also with Bruno and Luna and the six-month old pups were these three Tiny Troopers.
They were born in the shelter and came here at just a week of age. They came in just about
the time I lost my job so I had plenty of time to spend with them and with Luna. They were adorable.

And this is Luna, mother of all four Troopers and all three Tiny Troopers.
I loved her a lot, we really bonded after she trusted me with her pups.

Journey just recently went to his new home and I'm excited and happy about it still.
I wasn't sure we'd ever be able to place him.

Simon was the first of two boxers we had almost back to back.

Buster here was the second boxer. I believe he came with the dog below.

This is Jackson. The leash and Buster are wearing is one of my favorites and I haven't seen
it in a while. Things come and go around here sometimes, along with the fosters.

Kismet was adopted out once but was returned and we still have her now. She's a very easy
foster, however, and a very nice girl.

Little Man was one of three small dogs we had this year.

Lady was another small dog for us. 

Bessie came from the same property where Pinky had lived. She went to former adopters
and they are really enjoying her.

Samantha was young and driven, as well as beautiful. 
She went to former shepherd adopters who knew that they'd have their hands full. 
I assured them that she'd settle into a great dog in a few years.

Jeb is a big, chunky, classic Lab in every way. He was not hard to place.

Zach was a nice boy. He was a short-timer here.

Winston and Chase, below, are brothers who came to us when their owner died.

Chase is still with us for now but I hope he'll be adopted soon. He has grown and become
his own dog after being separated from his more outgoing brother.

Buzz had everyone puzzled about his breed mix. Whatever it was, it worked for him very well.

Dasher was still with us at the end of 2020 but he was our first 2021 adopted.
His breed mix also confounded everyone who has met him.

Malia was our last intake for 2020 but she has a prospective home lined up.

We are down to three fosters right now, Kismet, Chase, and Malia. That's enough for the wet and muddy season that is winter around here. I want to get at least one more adopted before taking in any more.

No comments: