Sunday, August 8, 2021

Finally, a walk with Lexie

It's time for Lexie to pull back from being mother and to begin her transition to fine family dog. She hasn't been nursing much for some time, but she still has been cleaning up after the pups and that is resulting in some bad things happening in Lexie's digestive system. I kept her away from the pups most of today and this afternoon I took her out for a two mile walk at Pleasant Grove.

I was needing it bad. I've been so sedentary this summer with the heat and humidity that my body was beginning(?) to atrophy. It was hot and most of the walk was in the sun because I wanted to stick to level ground, but we went. Lexie is smart and walked on the grass adjacent to the road most of the time. We also stopped in the shade and rested a bit on at least three occasions. The rests were really for me more than her. Lexie is a young dog, maybe 3ish?, and she really enjoyed the walk. It would have been too hot for Maya or Della, but Lexie had a great time.

She was really enjoying herself as a dog for the first time in months I expect. I don't know anything about her prior life, but she was certainly loving life out there today. We only encountered one person because most people had enough sense not to be out there at 2:00 p.m. this afternoon. 

It was a good walk for both of us. Lexie needs to find a home and I think she will be a wonderful dog for someone. She is up for any adventure. She's mostly good indoors, aside from being a counter surfer. I crate her at night and she hasn't had a problem with that. 

The puppies have a lot of interested adopters but puppies aren't for everyone. In fact, puppies aren't for very many people. An adult dog is a lot easier, plus you already know what you are getting. Although I can't really guess what conglomeration of genes produced Lexie, at least we can see the end result. I refuse to speculate on what the puppies will look like when they grow up, how big they will be, what will their coat, ears, etc. be like. With an adult dog, what you see is what you get. With a puppy, it's a crap shoot. 







I'm always trying to get a dog to strike a heroic, Rin-Tin-Tin pose standing on some rocks.
I haven't had much success, and Lexie didn't understand what I was going for,
but she was willing to step up and give it a try. 


She also hopped up onto picnic tables when I asked her to do so for more photo ops.








No comments: