Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Maya's walk

We had a nice line of thunderstorms come through late this afternoon that brought some needed rain and relief from the heat, if not the humidity. I had pretty much decided not to go out for a walk today due to the heat, but after the storms moved on through I didn't have excuse any more. I put the Danish girls in their crates and took Maya by herself.

Maya is an excellent walking companion all by herself. She and I have logged many, many miles over the years. I hadn't taken her out in a while and hadn't gone myself until lately, due to the heat. Maya is nine years old now, which is as hard for me to wrap my head around as is the fact that I'm 63. But we got Maya in February of 2013 when she was about a year old, and that makes her nine. She's showing her age in some ways that are beneficial. She has mellowed, a bit. I don't remember the last time she wreaked havoc on the kitchen when we went out without her. She's not insistent about going with me absolutely all the time, although she still follows me to the bathroom. She doesn't need daily hikes to keep her energy and behavior in check. 

This evening's walk wasn't far, two miles, nor fast, but we went slower than usual. I suppose she's probably a bit out of shape for walking, as am I, and the humidity was still oppressive even if the heat of the day had abated. It felt like I was walking a senior dog today. However, near the end of the walk, as the light beginning to fade, Maya spotted some deer as they were beginning to emerge from the woods. Her ears and tail went on high alert, her head came up, body tensed, and her step quickened. A few years ago she would have dragged me across the field to pursue those deer into the woods. She didn't do that and I am glad. There's some real advantages to senior dogs.

Maya has many miles in her yet, but we may be doing them at a somewhat slower pace and on cooler days. 


The great oak with the setting sun behind it.














2 comments:

EThetaB said...

Lovely pictures!
It is affirming to hear that your dogs are not paragons of perfect deportment (eg kitchen havoc, on-leash deer chasing)--gives us ordinary mortals some grace.

Rachel said...

I sure love that girl.